Contribute
Register

TP Link TL-WDN4800 not (really) working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally fixed it!

I had to switch from 802.11 b+g+n to 802.11b+g in the router settings. That did the job!

Well this POS should support N oob as it's advertised as an N card on TPLink page. This is not the case - I have a MBP happily ticking along the wifi (N, 40mhz on a TP-Link routier) meanwhile this card in my desktop is unable to connect under windows and under osx. I'm starting to get the feeling that the card is faulty. The network shows up fine with a good signal, just I'm not able to connect.
:beachball:

Just to chime in. March 2013, I just bought this card because I also found a link on google saying Tonymac specifically recomended this card because it works out of the box. well, it does not work for me on my 10.8.2 Hackintosh. without going into detail on any of the specifics of my config, because this isn't even my thread. Does this card work out of the box? on N? or is this a hacked up job of a card that works on b/g and thats considered out of the box working.

I have a retina macbook pro that connects fine on N and gets fullspeed from it as well. also connects fine on 2.4ghz and 5ghz and my cisco router has 2 networks running.

the card can only see the normal network but not the N specific network.

Do we have to install drivers from tonymac or update the firmware on this card, etc?

fixing it to me is not running on b/g its running it on N out of the box.

if that isn't the case maybe I can return this to newegg and get something that works for N. N is the key... otherwise i'll hardwire in to LAN.

thanks!

I had a problem with losing the internet connection on this Wi-Fi card from day one. It would stay connected to the wi-fi network, but lose the internet connection every 30mins or so it seemed like. I'd have to disconnect and reconnect to get it working again. I didn't want to change the wireless setting on my router to B+G only, because I want to use N as that's what my router and this card is. Restarting the router didn't appear to fix anything.

As suggested in this thread, I changed the channel setting on my router. I went from the auto setting to channel 8 (I picked 8 randomly out of 1-10) and it appears to be staying connected. So far it looks like I've gone a day without it losing the internet connection. Hopefully it says this way.

Thought this information might help others.

I switched the channel 3 times, I'm afraid that didn't work for me? Any other advices? Right now I can't even connect to the router

View attachment 43016

In advanced settings I see that I have an IP-Address (169.254.129.58) as well as an subnetmask (255.255.0.0).

But there's still the exclamation mark on the wifi icon. I also already tried to use a static IP (and Router/Subnet)... still not working. Sometimes the exclamation mark is gone, but then it's still not working :/ Setting 8.8.8.8 as DNS didn't help either.

EDIT
The card is working in win7 as well as ubuntu without any issues.

Same Issue Here! But when i change the router wifi to 5ghz it works

Same issue. Only worked for me to address the problem of not obtaining an IP (169.254.x.x APIPA address issue), changing the router to 20 Mhz channel width only, this reduce max speed to 216.7 Mbps, still supporting bgn mixed mode. Any way I can't go to the 5 ghz Band because other devices in my home network does not support it. Thanks guys. Great!

Finally fixed it!

I had to switch from 802.11 b+g+n to 802.11b+g in the router settings. That did the job!

Seems to have done the trick for me. Thanks!!

None of these things seem to work for me. I have switched my modem/router (its all-in-one) to g/n instead of b/g/n, and I have changed my channel. I have changed the position of the antennas, the only thing I haven't changed is the PCI slot. I only have 4 PCI slots. 2 PCI x16 slots, one of them is occupied by my graphics card, and two PCI x1 slots. I currently have the card in one of my PCI x1 slots, and my graphics blocks the other one. Should I move my Wifi card to the other PCI x16 slot?

I'm having the exact same problems listed here. My card was working fine for about a week, but now it doesn't seem to last for more than a few minutes before pages get insanely slow to load. Often I just get the exclamation mark that says no internet. I've got an older router Netgear (DG834GV3). It only does b+g modes.

Can anyone recommend a router that they are currently using that is working well?

I have the same issues as everyone. This is my first hackintosh build and first computer build ever. I had issues with post installation and trying to get things working so I'm afraid I installed kexts that didn't need to be installed. But at this point everything else is pretty much running smoothly so I don't really want to touch anything in the software/Mac os x.

While I have tried some possible solutions, I have not tried everyone nor have I tried every combination. At this point I may sit down for a whole day and just try every possible combination until i give up and say its time for a new card.

I have a z77-ds3h board (rev 1.1). I tried changing from auto to channel 7 and channel 6. I tried switching routers where it is able to broadcast 2.4 and 5ghz. I then tried using channel 48 on the 5ghz band as I saw that on a lot of forums and that seemed to actually get it working but only for a minute or so like others here have stated. I tried swapping pci slots. I even turned off ivp6 once I actually got a connection and it seemed to work for a few minutes, but then no.

I'm not sure what could be causing the issue:
  1. motherboard/BIOS settings
  2. Router and/or Router Settings
  3. or Mac OS X installation (smbios, etc.)
  4. or combination of these things

So far I have only really played with the router and its settings. I may have switched from mac 12,2 to mac 3,1 or something like that but that didn't seem to do anything (though I would like to know what changing these things do and if it is possible for it to be the cause of problems).

I am able to connect to the network on occasion though it is very slow or not even loading webpages and other times it just loses connection and will 'timeout'.

It just sucks that I bought about $1k in parts and tried to go the 'safe' route by purchasing all recommended parts yet i still run into issues. Would building that apple airport card be worth it or should I not even bother since my hackintosh can see my wdn4800.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back