Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX480
Hi, while waiting for delivery of a Fenkin T919 for my Sierra desktop, picked up a TP Link T4U(EU) V3.2 at a nearby store. I notice on TP Link site, that for this particular model (EU) it only has 10.14 MAC drivers.

Any tips on how to get this working in Sierra?

thanks,

Brian

Ok, working with the T4U(US) drivers for 10.9-10.12:

Not sure what might be cause, but using same speedtest (speedtest.net), once from my telephone, and then again from MAC desktop with T4U, the telephone achieves 170 Mbps download, while on the desktop I get 60 Mbps. The adapter is plaugged into a USB 3 port, so not sure what is going on. Maybe the telephone is simply picking up a stronger wifi signal, but both phone and desktop show similar signal strength.

Ideas?

You comparing the connection speed from your phone and a USB dongle is like comparing Apples and Oranges. They may be both be fruit but that is as close as they get to being similar. In this case you are comparing devices connected to the same network, but they do so in different ways, using completely different processes, drivers, and devices.

Is the USB dongle connected to a front case port or one on the rear of the case, is it covered/enclosed below a desk, where in comparison is the phone located in relation to the Wireless access point or router?

Is the USB3 port the T4U is connected to part of your custom USB configuration, i.e. activated by a USBPorts.kext or SSDT-UIAC.aml, does it have the correct connector type, is it working at full speed?

Been a while since I set up the computer, but I do recall applying a USB related kext. Just don't recall all the details, and not even sure how to query for such info. My setup is a bit odd. My bootloader is done via USB, as I could never get boot to work from the system drive. I just looked in the USB drive and don't see where I would find kext info.

THe USB wifi is connected on back to a USB 3 port. System info shows:

802.11ac NIC:

Product ID: 0x0115
Vendor ID: 0x2357
Version: 2.10
Serial Number: 123456
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Realtek
Location ID: 0x14e00000 / 11
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 0

Anyway, I can see how telephone and computer accessing internet via different software/hardware can result in speed differences, just that desktop being up to 3 times slower seems extreme, when telephone and computer are showing similar received wifi signal strengths. When I do the test, I have the phone placed near where the USB card is.

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec shows your USB WiFi is working at USB2 speed, not USB3. This may be limiting the WiFi throughput.

If it were working at USB3 speed it would show as 'Up to 5GHz'.

Location ID: 0x14e00000 / 11 shows your WiFi dongle is connected to port #11, which may be a HSxx port (USB2), depending on whether you have a custom USBPorts.kext/SSDT-UIAC.aml or not.

I would recommend you have a read and follow this USB configuration guide by UtterDisbelief - https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/

I started going through the config process but realized the WiFi USB card was in a USB 2.0 slot. Now it is in 3.0 slot, shown with 5 gbps max speed but now download speed is even slower - now 30 mbps, compared to 60 mbps yesterday (with strong signal like yesterday). Here is the USBInjectAll.kext (with OLD in name) I was using yesterday (when I had 60mbps download speed with USB 2.0 port) as well as the USBInjectAll.kext I used today based on the USB config guide. Although I didn't apply the steps in the guide, I did use the USBInjectAll.kext 0.7.3 mentioned in the guide. Curious if there is anything obvious here that could be causing this behavior?

Maybe the USB card is not working in 801 AC mode? In the TP Link utility I don't see info on specs of the connection.

Attachments

• USBInjectAll OLD.kext.zip
    12.8 KB · Views: 36
  • Release.v0.7.3.zip
    14.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
The version of USBInjectAll.kext you use with your Skylake system won't make much difference. The newer versions are required for USB controllers not included in the 0.7.1 version of the kext. Your Skylake system's USB controller will be included in Rehabman's version of USBInjectAll.kext.

The USBInjectAll.kext will do nothing beneficial on its own. It enables you to discover your USB ports, when you follow the guide I linked. Skimming the guide and pulling parts out is a waste of time, it will do nothing worthwhile.

You need to either follow the USB guide correctly or settle for your USB ports not working as they should in macOS.

The change in the download speed is probably related to the USB WiFi dongle being moved further down the back of the case. Less signal received and broadcast by the dongle as it is hidden/obstructed at the back of the case. That is of course assuming your USB3 port is actually working at USB3 speed.

Have you thought of using a USB3 extension cable? Plug the extension cable in to a spare USB3 port and plug the dongle in to the other end. This would allow you to sit the dongle on your desk where it will be able to send and receive data more easily and with less obstructions.

I am just not sure to what extent that guide is needed in my case, apart from knowing how to use its referenced tools to run system reports. I mean if the system report indicated speed is a reliable indicator of whether or not a device is truly working at 3.0, and with the move to a different port that is USB 3.0 capable and seeing reported speed of 5 Gbps for the wireless card, then maybe all is already fine. Not sure why yesterday I was seeing such slow speed once I moved the card to USB 3 slot. I then reverted back to prior kext and experimented with router antenna pointing and got to the point where I now have 130 Mbps (this is also what I am seeing on phone today). If the kext change can't account for that then I guess it must relate to the antennas. Same speed on computer regardless if card is placed in rear slot or front slot in case. Thanks for tips, links, and patience (and will pick up extension cable)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back