Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. iBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Eeek.. I've been debating this for a month now. :banghead:

I know the Customac is the smarter option. If I built one, it'd be the Budget ATX build. With a Core i7 3770 (non k version to save extra $30). It would be built into a LIAN LI A55B case. But, its not a Mac, and it doesn't chime at startup (I want the complete experience). The build would cost just under $780.

A Core i7 Mac Mini is $799. Then like an extra $70 er so for 8GB Ram. But its got the cool factor being as small as it is, and it chimes.

I currently have a Core 2 Duo in an ECS G31T-M I flashed to run Mountain Lion, and it works great for the most part. But then there are issues like it doesn't like to wake up from sleep.

So what do you guys think?

I spent ages trying to GET RID of the chime on my iMac... eventually found a hack of some kind that disabled it...the hack broke when I upgraded to Mountain Lion so I am back in thunderous, annoying Chime land. I hadn't even noticed that my Hackintosh doesn't chime.

I am sure there is a way to have a pseudo chime sound pipe up whenever you switch your machine on. A small MP3 file, or, if you're feeling masochistic the old Windows "biddle-de-de-de-de" tone.

Anyway, I would definitely go the hackintosh path rather than get a mac mini... there's not a single thing the mac mini can do that a hackintosh can't. (apart from look cute... and chime.) The Mac Mini doesn't take too many hard drives - a real man needs at least 8 terabytes - and it's useless at Borderlands 2, which is the only reason my Hackintosh exists... (and then they ported it to mac. Oh well.)

Kind of comes down to personal preference. Which choice do you think you will be happiest with in the long run? I really like OS X but don't consider myself an Apple fanboy, so I'm happy with a hackintosh.

-bth

Eeek.. I've been debating this for a month now. :banghead:

I know the Customac is the smarter option. If I built one, it'd be the Budget ATX build. With a Core i7 3770 (non k version to save extra $30). It would be built into a LIAN LI A55B case. But, its not a Mac, and it doesn't chime at startup (I want the complete experience). The build would cost just under $780.

A Core i7 Mac Mini is $799. Then like an extra $70 er so for 8GB Ram. But its got the cool factor being as small as it is, and it chimes.

I currently have a Core 2 Duo in an ECS G31T-M I flashed to run Mountain Lion, and it works great for the most part. But then there are issues like it doesn't like to wake up from sleep.

So what do you guys think?
There used to be a post on the forum about how to get the start-up chime to work on your PC-Mac. It was removed because of this:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/apple-news-rumors/82670-mac-startup-chime-now-us-registered-trademark.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back