Contribute
Register

Totally screwed it up, can't install anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H
CPU
Intel i7-4790k (Devil's Canyon)
Graphics
no graphics card - using onboard graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
(Ignore build in sidebar)

Mobo: MSI Z170A-G45 GAMING
CPU: 6700k (Skylake)
Following the master El Capitan install guide (http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/u...upported-intel-based-pc.172672/#install_elcap)

First I followed the main guide, but after step 4, I got stuck. El Capitan had installed, but I couldn't boot up (black screen). I posted details about this in the forum (http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/stuck-at-post-installation-probably-simple.191972/), waited, bumped, waited, but no responses. I don't know what else to do, so I chose to move on.

I reformatted my flash drive and put the Windows 7 installer on it, thinking, OK I'll just put Windows on this machine instead. But I couldn't do that. No matter what, the computer boots to Clover, and doesn't see the Windows installer USB stick.

So I'm thinking to myself: why does it keep going to Clover? Clover must be on the hard drive, and the only way I know to get it off the hard drive is to put El Capitan back on the USB stick (via Unibeast), and then as soon as I get to the first screen, go to Disk Utility so I can wipe the drive. So I put El Capitan back on the USB stick, and when I insert that USB stick into the machine and boot it, I still don't see the USB stick. I see Clover:

IMG_8393.JPG

I have tried different USB ports on the computer. No difference.

I also went into the BIOS and changed the boot device order and put USB flash drive first. Still doesn't work. I still get to Clover (screenshot above).

Please help. I'm totally stuck now. I can't properly install El Capitan, I can't install Windows, and I can't boot to the flash drive at all. Now I'm really stuck. I'm sure it's something simple, but it's frustrating the heck out of me.

You may need to do step 5 after step 4. Boot from your USB, not from your disk. (it's not bootable yet)

Guys, I am totally stuck here.

When I boot this computer, it goes straight to Clover, no matter what.

I physically removed the drive and wiped it (on a Mac). Then I put it back in the PC.

I went into Clover and removed all boot entries, then restarted. It still goes into Clover.

I tried telling the BIOS to boot to my flash drive (which contains a Windows 7 installer, created via Boot Camp Assistant, but not adding the Mac-specific stuff to it). The computer still boots to Clover. Even if I hold down F11 and tell it to boot to the flash drive, it boots to Clover.

What do I do here? I had to give up on installing the Mac OS, and now I can't install Windows either! Help!

Last edited:
Update: a different USB drive fixed it (I believe). The old USB drive was a USB3 drive, while the new one that worked was a USB2 drive (I believe). Both were plugged into USB2 ports at all times, though.

I also went back through the instructions, specifically, those listed in this other thread: http://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/10-11-4-skylake-starter-guide.193628/

I'm now able to install and boot into El Capitan. I do see some other issues that need solving which I'll post about separately, but I'm just updating this thread for future travelers along the same road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back