Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

I'm trying to run this in Big Sur but getting an error that 10.13 or newer OS is required. Is there a workaround to get it to work?
Look through the thread. Someone posted a spreadsheet that works using the same fundamentals.

hy, i have a question.. im on big sur now the latest build 11.1 and no matter what i do with PP_DisablePowerContainment with my gpu (vega56 red devil - the mini soc) draws more than 400watts when under load. if i changed PP_DisablePowerContainment before on catalina the power draw stayed bellow 250watt or whatever i set in vgtab. i merged the same kext with the script and if i set PP_DisablePowerContainment to 0 or to 1 and clear nvram on every change before boot i always get the same result.

any suggestions?

idle is ok at 7watts or so...

thank you

hy, i have a question.. im on big sur now the latest build 11.1 and no matter what i do with PP_DisablePowerContainment with my gpu (vega56 red devil - the mini soc) draws more than 400watts when under load. if i changed PP_DisablePowerContainment before on catalina the power draw stayed bellow 250watt or whatever i set in vgtab. i merged the same kext with the script and if i set PP_DisablePowerContainment to 0 or to 1 and clear nvram on every change before boot i always get the same result.

any suggestions?

idle is ok at 7watts or so...

thank you
I would take that measurement with a grain of salt. According to iStat I'm pulling over 700 watts running heaven, but only 46°C (I'm on water, but still doesn't jive).​

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 3.30.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-24 at 3.30.45 PM.png
    114.4 KB · Views: 123
I would take that measurement with a grain of salt. According to iStat I'm pulling over 700 watts running heaven, but only 46°C (I'm on water, but still doesn't jive).​
tnx for your reply.. yeah i took them with a grain of salt already but still wanted to hear the same thing from someone else :) so basically with a red devil nano vega 56 board i didnt need to do anything the fans are fixed if compared to catalina so thats nice...

I'm trying to run this in Big Sur but getting an error that 10.13 or newer OS is required. Is there a workaround to get it to work?
export SYSTEM_VERSION_COMPAT=1 open -a /yourpath/VGTab_en.app

Will allow it to run.

Edit:

It will allow it to open still will not export file, I would guess that if the export function would run the same terminal command it would work.

On a STOCK MACPRO 5,1 how would you get these kext's to be used?

I've built 3 hackintoshes. but this is for my old MacPro 5,1

THANK YOU for any help!

I'm running Maverick 10.14.6

I stopped using this tool awhile ago once macOS had native drivers for the Vega 64 with a correct power play table. but now for some reason, after upgrading to 11.6 (20G165), my Vega 64 acts like the power play table is broken again. instead of the fan running idle at a low speed while doing basic work, instead it's spinning down to zero, waits for it to reach a certain temp threshold and kicks on high, cools off and back to zero. over and over. fan makes the same loud noise it does when rebooting the computer....about every 4 mins...very annoying.

anyone else experiencing fan trouble on 11.6 with Vega 64 (ASRock Phantom Gaming)?

anyone else experiencing fan trouble on 11.6 with Vega 64 (ASRock Phantom Gaming)?

I have an XFX Vega 64 but that should not matter much when it comes to a Reference Card. I do not notice any fan issues with my system and I am running 11.6. However, I use MacPro 7,1 SM because DRM works and you do not need WEG for multi monitors. So if you are using any form of iMac SM that could be why.

P.S. My wife has a MSI Vega 56 Air boost using SM iMac Pro 1,1 and she is not having any fan issues if she is not running 11.6 I will update her OS later tonight and see if it causes any issues to her fans.

thanks for the response. I'm running iMacPro1,1. attached is my EFI folder. perhaps you can take a quick look to see if anything looks out of the ordinary.

btw, I remember reading somewhere that asrock's phantom gaming card isn't exactly reference. wonder if that's contributing?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3 MB · Views: 94
Back