Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

yes.. that was the method I messed with

I did notice however that at some point the .kext that was generated made it into my /l/e as well..

removed both the .plist and kext and rebuilt caches..

so theoretically I am now back to stock graphics card bios and apple kext control right?

thanks

when I open VGTAB.. and selecting Vega 56 .. are the initial values coming from the current card settings or are they generic.. as the air boost has 2 bios modes and is overclocked

i.e. if I just set the target temp.. will it then under clock the card?

I think that the values are generic/standards defaults and NOT from your current Vega
(hope they are also safe and not OC :()

also .. seems like some folks here say that adjustment of the PWM is required which VGTAB doesn't do?

ideally would love the mild overclock with undervolt but I have always preferred to keep the hakcintoshes using as native apple power management as possible...

any and all thoughts appreciated .. I have been hackintoshing since the beginning but getting old and out of touch with this stuff.. and my last setup was over 6 years ago ... so upgrading from el cap to mojave has been a learning experience again... but grey matter not as elastic as it once was

Yeah, the good @CMMChris tried to help me, changing these values
But I'm too newbie with these stuff
so I can't follow well his instructions

For now using only VGTAB target temp It seems solved for me (i'm still testing btw)

I would like to add that my recent install of Mojave 10.14.6 then Apple Migration Assistant of my old El Capitan install is working pretty well, with one niggle.. the upgrade from my GTX660 to MSI Vega 56 Air Boost....

@dragonmel,

As per the site rules (the ones you agreed to when registering), please update your hardware profile so that others can help you easier, see the Profiles section of the rules for more information:-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

You can configure your side bar hardware profile in your account settings :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

You can add additional information about your hardware in your signature :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/signature

Cheers
Jay

@dragonmel Your issue is not an issue. What you describe is Zero RPM and is a feature of Vega cards. The behavior is exactly the same under Windows. The temperatures you describe are absolutely normal and nothing to worry about. By default fans start spinning if temps exceed 55°C and stop spinning once temps went below 50°C. You can specify Zero RPM start and stop temperatures using a PowerPlay Table or disable Zero RPM entirely by setting the flag from 1 to 0. Anyhow, I wouldn't do this since it's not necessary.

@dragonmel,

As per the site rules (the ones you agreed to when registering), please update your hardware profile so that others can help you easier, see the Profiles section of the rules for more information:-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/rules/

You can configure your side bar hardware profile in your account settings :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/

You can add additional information about your hardware in your signature :-
https://www.tonymacx86.com/account/signature

Cheers
Jay

sorry about that i thought I had put it in my sig block.. I will atttempt to update

@dragonmel Your issue is not an issue. What you describe is Zero RPM and is a feature of Vega cards. The behavior is exactly the same under Windows. The temperatures you describe are absolutely normal and nothing to worry about. By default fans start spinning if temps exceed 55°C and stop spinning once temps went below 50°C. You can specify Zero RPM start and stop temperatures using a PowerPlay Table or disable Zero RPM entirely by setting the flag from 1 to 0. Anyhow, I wouldn't do this since it's not necessary.

thanks.. so fans not spinning until that card is in the 50s... wow.. ok

I think that the values are generic/standards defaults and NOT from your current Vega
(hope they are also safe and not OC :()

Yeah, the good @CMMChris tried to help me, changing these values
But I'm too newbie with these stuff
so I can't follow well his instructions

For now using only VGTAB target temp It seems solved for me (i'm still testing btw)

if the VGTAB are the referance card numbers than for the air boost it would be a underclock since the air boost is overclocked ..at least on the one bios mode as far as I know

Hi, is there a chance to use this tool on a real iMac with a VEGA 48?

Thanks!

View attachment 377396
Now you can control your Vega on macOS without flashing the vBios
As we know, the Vega graphics cards have native support in macOS HighSierra and Mojave. emmm...and some glitch :(
But AMD uses a function called "SoftPowerPlayTable" to control the Vega cards.
"Soft" means it can be stored in the system and works well. (no need flashing the vbios after you modify it)
So I made this app to edit, build, and inject these control tables into macOS. And these are all based on a GUI interface.
You can control the Power/Frequency/Voltage/Fan Speed of your card(s) by using this app and Clover.

View attachment 377400
When you open the app, it well tell you to choose the model that you using now.

View attachment 377401
Here is the overview of this app

View attachment 377403
View attachment 377404
When you modify some settings, you can click the "Build Powerplay Table" button to create your own custom kext, or you can also click the "Generate share link" button to generate a url. And you can share the url with anyone who have also using VGTab, then they can use the same custom settings as you do.

When you are confused about the name of any setting, click on it to get more information.

I have already released this app about half a year ago (on a Chinese hackintosh forum). Why there is no English version? Because I am not good at English :crazy: (I'm Chinese).

>Here is the guide written by @jaymonkey. This guide is very detailed and useful.
>Here is the script that can merge aty_properties from a VGTab injector kext. (by corpnewt)

Hey folks, sorry for going a little off-topic but does anyone know a similar application that works for Polaris cards as well (or, specifically, RX 580 cards)?

Hi, is there a chance to use this tool on a real iMac with a VEGA 48

@rna23,

You could theoretically use VGTab to generate a kext that could be used on a real iMac to inject a custom SoftPowerPlayTable as I believe the method has been proven to work on real Mac's. However the VGTab utility only currently supports Vega 56, 64 and Frontier Editions as well as the WX9100 WX8200 Pro Radeon cards.

Unfortunately there is currently no support for the Vega 48, probably because it not a GPU that is available as a PCIe card that can be used in a Hackintosh. The SoftPowerPlay table for a Vega 48 is probably not that much different from a Vega 56 but most likely different enough to not be compatible with the default values that VGTab currently generates.

You could try contacting the developer of VGTab to see if he could add support for Vega 48.

Cheers
Jay

Back