Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

What temperatures does your vega reach? mine at rest is usually over 49 ° C
If you passed a performance test with the Heaven program, putting maximum performance "ultra" reaches temperatures of about 90 ° C Is this normal? I think it's too much :(
Sapphire Nitro Vega 64

90C is too hot. It should be self throttling by that point.

What temperatures does your vega reach? mine at rest is usually over 49 ° C If you passed a performance test with the Heaven program, putting maximum performance "ultra" reaches temperatures of about 90 ° C Is this normal? I think it's too much

@FernandoCoverdale,

49°C at idle would indicate that your thermal solution is very poor, maybe due to poor case layout ?, you could try improving air flow around the Vega and increasing the inlet air flow and/or fitting better case fans.

You could also try re-pasting your GPU with a good quality thermal paste, I personally can recommend Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly its very good for CPU's and GPU's. Your Vega 64 really should not be hitting 90°C when running the Heaven as it's not a particularly stressful benchmark.

Cheers
Jay

Crank up your fans. Lower your overclocks. Get a better cooler.
@FernandoCoverdale,

49°C at idle would indicate that your thermal solution is very poor, maybe due to poor case layout ?, you could try improving air flow around the Vega and increasing the inlet air flow and/or fitting better case fans.

You could also try re-pasting your GPU with a good quality thermal paste, I personally can recommend Kryonaut by Thermal Grizzly its very good for CPU's and GPU's. Your Vega 64 really should not be hitting 90°C when running the Heaven as it's not a particularly stressful benchmark.

Cheers
Jay

What would be the normal temperature while in a state of rest with normal use of the pc?

the card has a month of use, maybe you should return it and get another one in case it was defective, thank you very much for your advice

Last edited:
What would be the normal temperature while in a state of rest with normal use of the pc?

@FernandoCoverdale,

The Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + has one of the best cooling solutions for an air cooled Vega 64 out there, I believe that it uses a vapour chamber and a monster heat sink so its hard to believe that your seeing 49°C at idle, is it possible you have some background process or app using the GPU that you are not aware of ?

You should never be seeing 90°C when running the Haven benchmark.

If you reboot, and just monitor the GPU die temp you should see no more 5-8°C above ambient temp.
If the card is defective then you would see similar high temps in windows .... have you tested this ?

As I said before make sure you have plenty of free air around the GPU card.

If temps are low in Windows but high in MacOS then try using the excel spreadsheet written by @CMMChris to generate a SoftPowerPlayTable rather then VGTab, the spreadsheet method allows you to define the fan controllers PWM value which you can not do in VGTab, he specifically mentions that the correct PWM value for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 is 28.

See this post for more info and the spreadsheet download :-

Cheers
Jay

the card has a month of use, maybe you should return it and get another one in case it was defective, thank you very much for your advice

"Normal" temperatures depends on a lot of things... How good is the airflow of your case? What are ambient temperatures? How good is the cooler on your video card?

@FernandoCoverdale,

The Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro + has one of the best cooling solutions for an air cooled Vega 64 out there, I believe that it uses a vapour chamber and a monster heat sink so its hard to believe that your seeing 49°C at idle, is it possible you have some background process or app using the GPU that you are not aware of ?

You should never be seeing 90°C when running the Haven benchmark.

If you reboot, and just monitor the GPU die temp you should see no more 5-8°C above ambient temp.
If the card is defective then you would see similar high temps in windows .... have you tested this ?

As I said before make sure you have plenty of free air around the GPU card.

If temps are low in Windows but high in MacOS then try using the excel spreadsheet written by @CMMChris to generate a SoftPowerPlayTable rather then VGTab, the spreadsheet method allows you to define the fan controllers PWM value which you can not do in VGTab, he specifically mentions that the correct PWM value for the Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64 is 28.

See this post for more info and the spreadsheet download :-

Cheers
Jay

really my configuration based on that post, I have it exactly as you said,PWM is 28
I think I did well, as I was recommended in that post I did not need with the latest Mojave update to have VGtab installed, just copy the line created in the excel by putting the PWM at 28 in Clover / Devices-> Properties as you see in the photo attached.You can see the follow-up of how I did it here

"Normal" temperatures depends on a lot of things... How good is the airflow of your case? What are ambient temperatures? How good is the cooler on your video card?

That is the test that I am going to carry out, I think I can have the badly ventilated PC case, I have placed an order for two Noctua fans, tomorrow they arrive from Amazon, I will try to create a more positive air current, it is also true that Right now in my city it is very hot (I write from Andalucia Spain), I think everything influences, I will try with new fans making sure the good air circulation, measuring the temperature of the room and I tell you, I can hardly believe that Vega comes badly from the factory, its fans are standing at rest and are activated and increase its speed if I perform a task that requires it, in windwos I have not tried it, I use my equipment only with hackintosh. Thank you very much for your advice.

Attachments

• FernandoCoverdale.png
    FernandoCoverdale.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 66
...That is the test that I am going to carry out, I think I can have the badly ventilated PC case, I have placed an order for two Noctua fans, tomorrow they arrive from Amazon, I will try to create a more positive air current, it is also true that Right now in my city it is very hot (I write from Andalucia Spain), I think everything influences, I will try with new fans making sure the good air circulation, measuring the temperature of the room and I tell you, I can hardly believe that Vega comes badly from the factory, its fans are standing at rest and are activated and increase its speed if I perform a task that requires it, in windwos I have not tried it, I use my equipment only with hackintosh. Thank you very much for your advice.
Run it in Windows first before you assume you have issues with the card or your case. Mine idles much warmer in OSX than Windows (48 compared to 30ish). I had my temps down before, but my latest adjustments have the temps back up. I'll have to play with it again to get idle temps back down.

Run it in Windows first before you assume you have issues with the card or your case. Mine idles much warmer in OSX than Windows (48 compared to 30ish). I had my temps down before, but my latest adjustments have the temps back up. I'll have to play with it again to get idle temps back down.

Right now I have no chance to try it on windows, so I see your temperatures are very similar to mine, my place at rest and considering that it is summer around 46 degrees, when I do a test in Heaven "normal mode, no the ultra mode "can reach a peak of almost 90 degrees, not constant only for some time, the normal thing that during the test ranges between 60 and 80 degrees, and change the fans of my tower and the improvement is hardly noticeable, perhaps it has lowered 3 or 4 degrees compared to my initial configuration, the box may not help either, since on the side it is made of tempered glass.

Back