Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

Is there any way to tell if the kext is being applied correctly? No matter what settings I choose, it seems like nothing changes after restarting. I am trying to lower the clock speed to stop coil whine on a Vega 64 Nitro+. The most minor screen updates, such as hovering over a browser tab, cause a buzzing sound.

I've tried putting the generated kext in /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other and /EFI/CLOVER/kext on different reboots, but neither seem to work.

I've rebooted around 15 times trying to figure this out. Two of those times the clock speed was stuck at 1.59ghz, according to iStat Menus, even though that is not what I set it to. Those two times, the coil whine seemed to be gone, but any other reboot, even with nothing changed, the coil whine returns and the clock speed is reported as only around 30-50MHz.

I tried various fan settings as well just to see if I could get any noticeable change, but again nothing seems to change. It seems to be stuck around 800 RPM from ioreg -l |grep \"PerformanceStatistics\" | cut -d '{' -f 2 | tr '|' ',' | tr -d '}' | tr ',' '\n'|grep 'Temp\|Fan'. This keeps the GPU at around 28-30C when idle.

Everything seems to work normally in Windows.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to debug this?

Could someone with a Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+ (non LE) share their kext?

Just to let you know : I confirm the tool works great with a Gigabyte Vega 64. No more fans noise, no more coil whine too...

Thanks !

Hello ! I notice you manage to have your VEGA RX64 Gigabyte GPU working without any fan noise issue and I was wondering if you can share you VGTab tab settings for this GPU (as far as I know it's a bit different from other GPU brand since it has a proprietary VBIOS) as I did many test I always ended up having my fans spinning full speed since my 10.14.3 updtate (before my lowfanspeed.kext would solve this issue but now, and don't know for what reason, I only have my fans quite once every 4 boots)

Does this work with a Radeon VII since it's also Vega architecture?

Hello ! I notice you manage to have your VEGA RX64 Gigabyte GPU working without any fan noise issue and I was wondering if you can share you VGTab tab settings for this GPU (as far as I know it's a bit different from other GPU brand since it has a proprietary VBIOS) as I did many test I always ended up having my fans spinning full speed since my 10.14.3 updtate (before my lowfanspeed.kext would solve this issue but now, and don't know for what reason, I only have my fans quite once every 4 boots)

Hi all!!! Many guys noticed that after beta update 10.14.5 RX Vega 64 works without PowerPlaySoftTable...
Im using RX 64 in my Desktop and im really think that Apple gave a little bit help, because some users with eGPU are have many issues... But still a Good choice to use in Mojave!!!

Public Beta 2 of 10.14.5 fixed GVA. H.264 and H.265 encoding works again now.

Public Beta 2 of 10.14.5 fixed GVA. H.264 and H.265 encoding works again now.

In your experience as a beta tester, how long are macOS builds in beta before a stable build is released to everyone? I'm working on a new build, and am just waiting for a final 10.14.5 for various reasons. Thanks.

Between one and two months. You can just install the Beta on your new build. I am running the public beta versions on my productive system with no issues.

Hi, sure, what files you want ? I will send you what u need tomorrow... Just let me know... I dont remember the values I set ;-)

Cheers

Is there any chance this tool could be used with an RX 560?

I have a low profile model that has fans that won't ever go below 30% without a custom curve (in Windows) - by design from MSI apparently.

Would love to find a way to tweak this in MacOS so I could keep the card.

No you can't but you can edit your VBIOS using Polaris BIOS Editor.

Back