Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

@psedog Not saying that changing voltage doesn't have any impact, but you can't change the maximum voltage the card reaches under full load. This can easily be verified based on power consumption, heat and fan noise. It just doesn't make any difference. With regards to this, the macOS AMD graphics drivers are still screwed up. Or Apple does this intentionally, which I doubt. It would be great if Apple would introduce Radeon Wattman settings for macOS when they launch the new Mac Pro. Would make the whole overclocking stuff more straightforward and convenient. But I doubt it will ever happen.

@jaymonkey I doubt it. I tested with numerous Vega cards and it also is the same for any Polaris or Radeon VII cards. Changing voltage as no impact on full load behavior (highest power state).

@psedog Not saying that changing voltage doesn't have any impact, but you can't change the maximum voltage the card reaches under full load. This can easily be verified based on power consumption, heat and fan noise. It just doesn't make any difference. With regards to this, the macOS AMD graphics drivers are still screwed up. Or Apple does this intentionally, which I doubt. It would be great if Apple would introduce Radeon Wattman settings for macOS when they launch the new Mac Pro. Would make the whole overclocking stuff more straightforward and convenient. But I doubt it will ever happen.

@jaymonkey I doubt it. I tested with numerous Vega cards and it also is the same for any Polaris or Radeon VII cards. Changing voltage as no impact on full load behavior (highest power state).

For me:
  • Adjusting Core Voltage works. However, I've only ever tried undervolting and never tried overvolting.
  • Increasing total Power Limits doesn't work. I only tried this once and it didn't seem to have any affect.
  • Adjusting Memory Voltage doesn't work. I only tried with on Vega 56 so that probably was an additional hurdle. Vega 64 may have better luck.

Adjusting Core Voltage works. However, I've only ever tried undervolting and never tried overvolting.

Undervolting does not work... do a video to proof it with actual measurements.
I can run my V64 cards with PPT set to 700mV on highest power state and its perfectly stable. No change in temp or power consumption or fan speeds.

Undervolting does not work... do a video to proof it with actual measurements.
I can run my V64 cards with PPT set to 700mV on highest power state and its perfectly stable. No change in temp or power consumption or fan speeds.

I don't have my Vega in my computer anymore. I'm on Radeon VII now. Why don't you do a video to prove it doesn't work?

I stand corrected as the temps are still very high for the settings. Also, the crash wasn't because of my Vega settings. I accidentally tested the Intel integrated and something was wrong with my device settings. I removed them for now. It used to work, so I'm not sure what I did...

@pastrychef I don't need to proof anything here. Undervolting not working on macOS has been a common complaint accross multiple forums where PPT mods have been covered. Anyone claiming it works needs to provide a proof. And if the proof is valid it's time to figure out why it doesn't work for others. Using a Radeon VII is no excuse for not providing a proof since it doesn't work on this card as well.

@pastrychef I don't need to proof anything here. Undervolting not working on macOS has been a common complaint accross multiple forums where PPT mods have been covered. Anyone claiming it works needs to provide a proof. And if the proof is valid it's time to figure out why it doesn't work for others. Using a Radeon VII is no excuse for not providing a proof since it doesn't work on this card as well.

Well, if you don't need proof, why did you ask me to waste my time?

Swapping cards in my case is a pain. I try to avoid it if I can.

If you want proof and it's so easy, experiment yourself.

I never claimed VGTab works with Radeon VII.

Last edited:
Well, if you don't need proof, why did you ask me to waste my time?
I never said that I don't need a proof.

If you want proof, experiment yourself.
Uhm... I don't just claim undervolting doesn't work for fun. It's based on my own experience with numerous cards as I told before.

I never claimed VGTab works with Radeon VII.
Nor did I?! VGTab shouldn't be used anyways since it doesn't allow to change important fan control values specific to V56/64 cards of specific manufacturers, but that's another story.

If you want to experiment with Radeon VII, there you go:

Attachments

• RadeonVII-PPT-Generator.xlsx.zip
    55.7 KB · Views: 101
I don't understand what you wanna say with this quote.

Back