Contribute
Register

[TOOL] VGTab: Control your Vega in macOS without flashing the vBios

By the way... Any idea why does the sound card makes little noises when selecting text or moving windows? Is that normal?

I had once a VAIO that did it after a while.. but never discovered what was the problem. Now i just installed the card and scripts and kexts and was wondering if anyone has the same problem?!

I use Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 with VGTab. It is an amazing tool and very easy to use. Thank you very much for your contribution! However, I am experiencing the coil whine noise with this RX Vega 64. I made research in all forums, played with different settings and I could only get rid of the coil whine noise by lowering the P6 and P7 clock speeds to 1350 Mhz. But doing this decreased the performance drastically which I'm not a big fan of.

The GPU performs better in Windows with no coil whine noise. I don't know if anyone ever found a solution to this noise issue while not affecting the performance negatively.

Hi there and happy new year.

I will try to use this too with my i9 7960X and Vega 64 Gigabyte on Mojave.

For the moment, the card works fine but I have a big coil whine noise when the card is working.

Same issue as you @yigpig so don't hesitate if you want I try different things to compare, I can help.

Best regards

I use Sapphire Nitro+ RX Vega 64 with VGTab. It is an amazing tool and very easy to use. Thank you very much for your contribution! However, I am experiencing the coil whine noise with this RX Vega 64. I made research in all forums, played with different settings and I could only get rid of the coil whine noise by lowering the P6 and P7 clock speeds to 1350 Mhz. But doing this decreased the performance drastically which I'm not a big fan of.

The GPU performs better in Windows with no coil whine noise. I don't know if anyone ever found a solution to this noise issue while not affecting the performance negatively.

Can you please share your optimum settings for your card or maybe a few which I can pick off? I have the same card and right now I don't use anything.

Just to let you know : I confirm the tool works great with a Gigabyte Vega 64. No more fans noise, no more coil whine too...

Thanks !

When I click "Build powerplay tables" I get a popup in Safari asking if I want to allow it, but then nothing happens. Any ideas?

Sometimes that happens with the utility when it's on the desktop. Move the VGTab utility to another folder and try again. Make sure you have the rights to write in that folder.

Sometimes that happens with the utility when it's on the desktop. Move the VGTab utility to another folder and try again. Make sure you have the rights to write in that folder.

Thanks for the reply, but I tried moving it to Applications and have the same issue.

Thanks for the reply, but I tried moving it to Applications and have the same issue.

Well, you'll have to discuss with the author....there's also this thread, that might be of help.....https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-injection-of-amd-vega-power-and-fan-control-properties.267519/

A quote from that thread....

If you find that the VGTab app does not save any data to your desktop then you can check if the app still has the com.apple.quarantine attribute by opening Terminal and changing the active path to the location of the VGTab app using the 'CD' command. Then execute the following command :-

Code:
xattr VGTab_en.app

If you see that the file still has the com.apple.quarantine attribute you can remove with the following command :-

Code:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine VGTab_en.app

Ups i wanted to post in this thread.
But i will let it here also in Spoiler, maybe you want to answer in the linked thread.
I have injected SoftPowerPlayTable to my Vega 64 with just changing idle to 900rpm, since it was way too noisy.

(to be exactly: http://www.sapphiretech.com/productdetial.asp?pid=AE163547-6889-4073-BBF6-9DB2C45BB233&lang=deu )

But I noticed a very strange noise every time when I scroll or change window position, it sounds like a little short circuit.

I am sure it is not a short circuit, but it is the best association to describe it with.

Also the blue/red light indicators went on and off in serial sequence.

Here a Video: http://sendvid.com/iwok1q19

1. My question, should/could I put also 300 or 500 as idle without risk? Because the fans should regulate still themselves higher if needed?

2. Are the lights and strange hum/buzz noise, parallel to my bigger screen moves, normal?

Last edited:
Back