Contribute
Register

[TOOL] [Generate Proper Problem Reporting Files]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't generate report, it said it cannot connect to test url (being github), and I tried with ping command, and also 100% packet loss. All while the internet in safari works perfectly well and ping on google.com succeeded with 0% packet loss.

Am I doing something wrong?

It seems because the filesystem is read-only by default, the tool cannot self update nor be installed if running under Catalina. Perhaps it should be added into another folder, or the install/update process to change filesystem status to read write prior to take any actions.

Same problem here had to prepare the drive to read/write then it worked just fine. I used HeadKaze's great App HT to prepare the drive into read/write mode.

Right, that's one way to achieve it, but it is not too hard to add the mount and killall commands to the install_tools.sh script and to the update function of the gen_debug tool.

I didn't think about that good point. When did this mount to read/write start happening something new in MacOS?

gen_debug script is unable to run ioreg explorer it tries increasing the delay till 3x and then includes some standard report in the output file.
I am running Mojave secondary update.

Taking advice from your post: Use gen_tool for debugging

I am on Catalina 10.5.1. I'm in the new zsh on Catalina of Terminal.

when I run:

% sudo ~/Downloads/install_tool.sh

and answer y to the question about generating a report, I get:

"./install_tools.sh: line 54: gen_debug: command not found"

Do I have to switch the shell (how?)? Or is this a permissions problem on Catalina 10.15.1 ?

There is no /usr/bin/gen_debug created by the install_tool.sh.

>> Added:

Just tried the install_tool.sh in the Bourne shell , sh. Gave the same result.

>>> And more

I see that the install_tool.sh starts itself in the bash shell...

Taking advice from your post: Use gen_tool for debugging

I am on Catalina 10.5.1. I'm in the new zsh on Catalina of Terminal.

when I run:

% sudo ~/Downloads/install_tool.sh

and answer y to the question about generating a report, I get:

"./install_tools.sh: line 54: gen_debug: command not found"

Do I have to switch the shell (how?)? Or is this a permissions problem on Catalina 10.15.1 ?

There is no /usr/bin/gen_debug created by the install_tool.sh.
run these 3 commands in terminal first:
Code:
sudo spctl --master-disable
sudo mount -uw /
sudo killall Finder

then copy gen_debug to /usr/bin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back