Contribute
Register

[TOOL] [Generate Proper Problem Reporting Files]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't change anything related to the kextcache in gen_debug. You may have a look at the function here

Already there since ver 1.0

P.S: Using "kextcache -system-caches" instead of "kextcache -i /" as it tends to fix redundant kextcache output issue (observed mostly on 10.13.1+)

EDIT: Kextcache output seems to work fine on all 4 of my hacks. Tested using latest version of gen_debug (3.4)

Regards

The problem with 'sudo kexcache -system-caches' is that it outputs nothing when there are no invalid signature kexts...
Not even the kernel cache id:
Code:
KernelCache ID: xxxxxx

This leads one to believe the command didn't work and the kextcache_log.txt is not valid...

The double listing of kexts does not bother me, and I'd rather see the KernelCache ID as a way to confirm the kextcache was actually run.

The double listing of kexts does not bother me, and I'd rather see the KernelCache ID as a way to confirm the kextcache was actually run.
Got it. Reverting back to kextcache -i / (will do “sort” and “unique” to remove redundancy)

EDIT: Seems "sort" and "uniq" won't work as for some reason the STDOUT is almost similar but a little different. Like,

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.25.44 AM.png

Will have to find a better way to overcome this. Until then, you will have to deal with redundant entries :p

Regards

Last edited:
@RehabMan I have pushed a minor update (redundancy is still there). Script should prompt for the update automatically. If it doesn't, please ask the affected users to update manually using `gen_debug -u`

Meanwhile, I am trying to figure out a way to get rid of duplicate entries. Tried skipping first 8 fields using 'uniq -f8' but that doesn't help.

Regards

Finally, got it.

Code:
sed -E -e 's/OSKext 0x[^[:space:]]+ /OSKext CONST /g' | sort | uniq | tail -r

Replaced that hex id with a constant "CONST" and it works. @RehabMan should I preserve that ID (OSKext 0xhexnumber)?
Does it help in debugging?

EDIT: Update with redundant entries fixed is now live.

Regards

Last edited:
Got it. Reverting back to kextcache -i / (will do “sort” and “unique” to remove redundancy)

EDIT: Seems "sort" and "uniq" won't work as for some reason the STDOUT is almost similar but a little different. Like,

View attachment 312053

Will have to find a better way to overcome this. Until then, you will have to deal with redundant entries :p

Regards

Finally, got it.

Code:
sed -E -e 's/OSKext 0x[^[:space:]]+ /OSKext CONST /g' | sort | uniq | tail -r

Replaced that hex id with a constant "CONST" and it works. @RehabMan should I preserve that ID (OSKext 0xhexnumber)?
Does it help in debugging?

EDIT: Update with redundant entries fixed is now live.

Regards

I think it is better to provide the full output anyway.
The purpose of gathering kextcache output is not just to get a list of kexts installed.
But rather also to catch errors/mistakes that may have been made with the set of kexts installed (eg. wrong permissions, poor choice in installation location, incompatible or conflicting kexts installed).

Any sort of processing on the output potentially excludes information or changes the meaning of the output.

The current implementation cuts out nothing but just the duplicate entry of the kext installed in one location.

It will print everything else like it used to do on macOS 10.13.0

If a kext is installed both in LE and SLE or if the permissions are not set correctly. That will be included in the log. (I have tested it)

When a kext is installed in multiple locations :
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 12.59.10 PM.png

When a kext is installed in multiple locations and has improper permissions:
Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 1.03.51 PM.png

Still, the main aim of this script was to reduce your headache, trying to explain users how to generate a report and them failing to do so.

Should you wish, I will revert that commit. Shall I?

Regards

Hi black.dragon74,

I am getting this error:

Dumping IOREG.
IOREG dump failed. Retrying
Increased delay x2 for IOREG dump. This will take a while...(33 sec)
/Users/user/Desktop/32611
Stefanos-Mac-Pro

that is repeated in an endless loop.
Have you ever seen it?
I have checked the version of IORegistryExplorer and it is 2.1, so it should be good. I have also invoked gen_debug with the -u switch to update it to the latest version, but this has not fixed the issue.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

- Ste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back