Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is expected behavior on Hackintoshes. I don't think there are any instructions that will fix that. My hope is that we just need to add some missing device-properties and/or make some minor patches but I don't think anyone's looked into it yet.
Thanks

Similar setup to your test build except that I have GA-Z170X Designare. I followed your steps, and Thunderbolt 3 now works great in Windows 10, but not in Sierra 10.2.2. Instead, I get a "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded." message in the System Information report. Only real outstanding issue other than Thunderbolt is that I get a kernel panic if I try to boot with the two ethernet adapters bound together (binding works great once the OS is already up and running--I just can't boot with them bound).

Ideas where I should start looking to get Thunderbolt working? I'm admittedly new to the BYO Mac concept and so any help that you can give is appreciated...

Thanks!

Last edited:
Similar setup to your test build except that I have GA-Z170X Designare. I followed your steps, and Thunderbolt 3 now works great in Windows 10, but not in Sierra 10.2.2. Instead, I get a "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded." message in the System Information report. Only real outstanding issue other than Thunderbolt is that I get a kernel panic if I try to boot with the two ethernet adapters bound together (binding works great once the OS is already up and running--I just can't boot with them bound).

Ideas where I should start looking to get Thunderbolt working? I'm admittedly new to the BYO Mac concept and so any help that you can give is appreciated...

Thanks!

Solved my own problem... I was going to delete my post but then realized that what I learned might help someone else. Anyway, I set the Thunderbolt security level in the BIOS to "No Security", and it's working. Now I just need to do some testing!

Last edited:
I'm curious as a new builder with a similar motherboard (Z170X-UD3 Ultra with Thunderbolt 3) how your non-thunderbolt USB ports are working.

I noticed, unless I missed it, this setup doesn't use the USBInjectAll process followed by ID'ing ports one-by-one as suggested in other posts. I did see the patch for additional ports.

I used a different build but with the latest Clover & Multibeast software from November. All my ports work but the rear USB 3 attached to the motherboard are working as USB 2. Only two USB 3 ports which are connected via the motherboard header are true USB 3. I was about to do the USBInjectAll setup but, I have no idea how that would affect Thunderbolt.

So without the USBInjectAll process, do all your ports work as they should? If so, what in this build procedure activates them the correct way?

I'm curious as a new builder with a similar motherboard (Z170X-UD3 Ultra with Thunderbolt 3) how your non-thunderbolt USB ports are working.

When I built my system, I used the 3rd party USB and and extend port limits options in Clover. Through Apple's System Information utility, all USB 3 and USB 2 ports report at their proper speeds (either 5/Gb/s or 480Mb/s, respectively). Two USB C (also used for Thunderbolt 3) don't show up or work as USB, but I'm not sure it that's a configuration setting or due to the fact that I don't have a proper USB C device (I've bee trying a USB C to USB 3 adapter, but all it seems to do is apply power the whatever it's hooked to).

Sometimes I do have to reboot the machine to get a USB 3 device to show up when I move it from one port to another.

I still have a lot of testing to do with respect to USB speeds and Thunderbolt, but at least the devices are visible.

When I built my system, I used the 3rd party USB and and extend port limits options in Clover. Through Apple's System Information utility, all USB 3 and USB 2 ports report at their proper speeds (either 5/Gb/s or 480Mb/s, respectively). Two USB C (also used for Thunderbolt 3) don't show up or work as USB, but I'm not sure it that's a configuration setting or due to the fact that I don't have a proper USB C device (I've bee trying a USB C to USB 3 adapter, but all it seems to do is apply power the whatever it's hooked to).

Sometimes I do have to reboot the machine to get a USB 3 device to show up when I move it from one port to another.

I still have a lot of testing to do with respect to USB speeds and Thunderbolt, but at least the devices are visible.

Thanks, appreciate the reply! Does your Z170x report more than 15 ports and did you add the USBInjectAll.kext? I seem to be stuck at 14 HS ports and not seeing SS ports.

Thanks, appreciate the reply! Does your Z170x report more than 15 ports and did you add the USBInjectAll.kext? I seem to be stuck at 14 HS ports and not seeing SS ports.

My configuration shows 14 HS ports, 10 SS ports, and two USR ports (not sure what these are as of yet--I'm guessing my Bluetooth/WiFi card). I don't remember adding USBInjectAll.kext; however, it is in my /Library/Extensions directory along with GenericUSBXHCI.kext (I'm guessing these were added for me as part of my configuration choices).

Thanks! Yeah I have 14 regular ports but just can't seem to get the SS ports. Not sure what I'm missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back