Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had success with the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH running a Samsung 960 M.2 SSD? From what I have found most are using SATA SSD drives, is there a reason for this? I am hoping to run the new generation M.2 SSD's.

Many thanks in advanced for your help with any info on this :)

Just wondering if anyone has had success with the Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH running a Samsung 960 M.2 SSD? From what I have found most are using SATA SSD drives, is there a reason for this? I am hoping to run the new generation M.2 SSD's.
SATA SSD's use a driver that is included in Mac OS X.
NVMe SSD's require a new driver to be installed (or an existing driver to be patched).
Some older M.2 SSD's are SATA.

Here's some links to look at:
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready

There are examples of people using the 960 in those links (or links in those links).

I think you are asking if you just leave it in all the time will it work? I think it should. I don't use a lot of thunderbolt peripherals right now (turns out having everything built into a hackintosh got rid of my need for a dock) so can't answer this long term, but far as I can tell it should work.
As far as starting the computer with a usb c plugged into thunderbolt it now finds it.Thank you so much! I will do a video just as soon as I get iMessage to work work on, audio after sleep, thunderbolt and iMessage to work after a install of OS X hackintosh. THANKS!

SATA SSD's use a driver that is included in Mac OS X.
NVMe SSD's require a new driver to be installed (or an existing driver to be patched).
Some older M.2 SSD's are SATA.

Here's some links to look at:
https://github.com/RehabMan/patch-nvme
http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/312803-patch-for-using-nvme-under-macos-sierra-is-ready

There are examples of people using the 960 in those links (or links in those links).

Thanks heaps for the info, I will check it all out :)
I am hoping to run El Captian OS X as I can't run sierra just yet due to audio application side of things I need to run. That said whether or not these drivers will work with it is another question. I would assume the Sierra is more likely to have this kind of support for the latest generation of NVMe SSD's.
Cheers again!

I'm using a 961 NVMe SSD with clover kext patches.
look here: https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2016/06/27/nvmefamily-kext-bin-patch-data/

Hi Floris, thanks for the reply, I will check into the info link.

May I ask which OSX version you are running with the 961 NVMe SSD? I am hoping to run El Captian.

One other thing, when you say 961 NVMe SSD, does this mean the new Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, I have just not seen the 961 version that's all. Did you use this NVMe SSD as primary boot device? Any info to clarify this would be great.

edit: I did some searches on 961, I see it's the OEM version, we don't see this stuff in australia thus why I wondered what it was. It's the OEM/Precurser to the 960 EVO & Pro's as such.

Cheers a million!

Last edited:

May I ask which OSX version you are running with the 961 NVMe SSD? I am hoping to run El Captian.

One other thing, when you say 961 NVMe SSD, does this mean the new Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD, I have just not seen the 961 version that's all. Did you use this NVMe SSD as primary boot device? Any info to clarify this would be great.

edit: I did some searches on 961, I see it's the OEM version, we don't see this stuff in australia thus why I wondered what it was. It's the OEM/Precurser to the 960 EVO & Pro's as such.

Cheers a million!

I'm using a Toshiba RD400 NVMe drive as my primary with Sierra. It's running very nicely (1300 mb/s + 2000+mb/s). When / if you consider upgrading to Sierra, it was quite easy to get my drive functioning. A good thread here, which may discuss nvme & el capitan..

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...s-viii-gene-i5-6600k-gigabyte-gtx-950.181272/ (search for the nvme section)

good luck!

Cheers a million!

Running Sierra and it's my primary boot device. Everything is on there. No other drives needed to boot.

I'm not sure about the differences between the two, i do know there is an NVMe and a SATA version of the 961 i think there is a performance difference. On this one i get 3GB/s read and bit over 2GB/s writing IIRC.

Not sure if the patches work for 10.11 but maybe i was lucky they worked for 10.12. It seems a bit difficult to do system updates with 'unsupported' NVMe drives. Need ti figure out how to easily do that.

Hi, I wondered if thunderbolt appears in the about mac ? I'm using xps 13 and the hub I connected works but there's not thunderbolt in about page and after sleep, the hub will never connect again (will need to reboot)

Hi, I wondered if thunderbolt appears in the about mac ? I'm using xps 13 and the hub I connected works but there's not thunderbolt in about page and after sleep, the hub will never connect again (will need to reboot)
That is expected behavior on Hackintoshes. I don't think there are any instructions that will fix that. My hope is that we just need to add some missing device-properties and/or make some minor patches but I don't think anyone's looked into it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back