Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
I also tried a type-c TB to 4k HDMI adapter but it will not work in Windows 10 or OSX or macOS, did not do a lot of troubleshooting but never could get anything detected or the display to light up.

every project so far tested in my Logic Pro X has worked with my 1248. I have had a few glitches when swapping between TB and Network AVB streams when testing the MOTU 1248 but both work...

Hi guys, I have the GA-Z170X-UD5 which obviously has no firewire 400 port...which i need for my motu 828mkll and 828mk3. Can i asked is there a preferred pic-e firewire card that plays nice with audio interfaces with the full bandwidth available, as I've read all sorts on different TI chipsets being good but have come across a couple of others that may or may not in full bandwidth for a firewire 400 port.

Will be installing El Capitain

These are the cards / chipsets that people have had luck with.....

Syba SD-PEX30009 card or a LSI FW643 card or most cards with a X102213B chipset.

Also if theres no point going through all the above is there a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor that will definitely work instead for.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited:
Hi Tony, I have just built a hackintosh a few weeks ago with the same same core parts, and overall works great! I have only had one issue, where when booting to my OS X partition I quickly get the "Prohibited" sign and I have to manually reboot. The issue does not happen every time, seems to be at random. Verbose mode shows an "OsxAptioFixDrv:" issue. I have tried to implement solutions from the forums but with no success. Please help!

Attachments

• IMG_1950.JPG
    IMG_1950.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 370
Hi guys, I have the GA-Z170X-UD5 which obviously has no firewire 400 port...which i need for my motu 828mkll and 828mk3. Can i asked is there a preferred pic-e firewire card that plays nice with audio interfaces with the full bandwidth available, as I've read all sorts on different TI chipsets being good but have come across a couple of others that may or may not in full bandwidth for a firewire 400 port.

Will be installing El Capitain

These are the cards / chipsets that people have had luck with.....

Syba SD-PEX30009 card or a LSI FW643 card or most cards with a X102213B chipset.

Also if theres no point going through all the above is there a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor that will definitely work instead for.

Thank you for any help.

DeLock 89153 FW card works fine, but needs an extra powerconnector. Startech TB3-1/2 -> TB-FW adapter didn't work properly on my Metric Halo interface. The DeLock is fine, my older Startech FW card would make my rig reboot on shutdown.

I also tried a type-c TB to 4k HDMI adapter but it will not work in Windows 10 or OSX or macOS, did not do a lot of troubleshooting but never could get anything detected or the display to light up.
The mini display adapter to HDMI/DVI/etc thingy I have works OK in Windows 10(attached via Startech adapter), I have 2 working screens, but not in OSX. Both monitors turn black while loading OSX.

DeLock 89153 FW card works fine, but needs an extra powerconnector. Startech TB3-1/2 -> TB-FW adapter didn't work properly on my Metric Halo interface. The DeLock is fine, my older Startech FW card would make my rig reboot on shutdown.

Thanks zipb , for the heads up. I'm going to look this up for sure and will it work natively with OS X. Or is there any kexts to run?

I don't want to seem lazy, but I just want to make sure with this as there's enough to worry about as it is. What makes me laugh is even my last build has at least got 1 PCI slot....How enchant heh.. ..also I know I'm probably due an audio interface upgrade but that would be a shame for something that works just fine as it is, and also annoying being forced into this because of a system upgrade. marketing business model yada yada!!

PCI has gone the way of the dodo...
Getting my current rig going was not that hard. Do your homework, buy the right components, find a guide, ask politely for help, give back to the community.
Worst moment was when my rig wouldn't boot the first couple of times I tried. Turned out to be 32 GB of RAM in combination with BIOS F3. I booted with only one RAM stick, upgraded to F5 and that was it.
Also these weird extra boot entries were a concern. And Thunderbolt(but I knew it would, I'm actually surprised it works at all).
And my old Startech FW card that was fine in my Z68XP rig but would cause a reboot on shutdown in my new setup.
Getting Windows 10 installed properly after OSX was actually more of a challenge than installing OSX.
But now I have a cheap, fast, dead silent, reliable workstation for audio, video and photo's.
Mind you, a lot of stuff doesn't work properly. I don't have WIFI or Bluetooth(well, I have a Bluetooth dongle that is recognized but doesn't seem to do anything), so no hands off or airdrop. Sleep doesn't work properly either(sleeping a DAW is a bad idea, so I don't care) etc.

Hello,

I built one of these machines back in march and had to turn off a bunch of the USB ports for some reason that I didnt fully understand.

Is this necessary for the install? Since my install I have not updated it at all and its been running pretty well.

Toying with the idea of doing a cleaner new install. I had to dig deep and change a ton of stuff to get this working.

my build was
GA-Z170x-UD5
GTX980ti
64gb ddr4 3200 gskill ripjaw
i7 6700k

So. Followed build instructions here. No audio device appears - neither analogue nor HDMI.

*** Edit : Though installing Windows appears to have fired my analogue audio output into life ***

On the plus side my Blackmagic Design Express Thunderbolt Video capture card appears to work in Windows and OS X via a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 converter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back