Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a good overview of Thunderbolt 3 on Gigabyte mobos. They've released a BIOS update for the GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming G1, GA-Z170X-Gaming GT, and GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 so that their USB-C ports function as Thunderbolt 3.

http://www.gigabyte.com/mb/thunderbolt3/overview
http://www.gigabyte.com/mb/thunderbolt3/model

First of all, thanks for spending the time verifying that this even works! My question is this: Does this mean that Gigabyte TB3-equipped motherboards that aren't in the Buyer's Guide, such as the GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra, the GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming and the GA-Z170X-Designare that contain Intel's USB-C 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 "Alpine Ridge" controller should work as well or are they still off-limits? And that we're waiting on official Apple computers (rMBP, iMacs) to be released that contain USB-C and TB3 in order to use Apple official macOS Sierra drivers that will give us access to better compatibility, faster transfer speeds and hot-swap capabilities?

My TB3 works in the macOS open beta as well

First of all, thanks for spending the time verifying that this even works! My question is this: Does this mean that Gigabyte TB3-equipped motherboards that aren't in the Buyer's Guide, such as the GA-Z170X-UD3 Ultra, the GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming and the GA-Z170X-Designare that contain Intel's USB-C 3.1/Thunderbolt 3 "Alpine Ridge" controller should work as well or are they still off-limits? And that we're waiting on official Apple computers (rMBP, iMacs) to be released that contain USB-C and TB3 in order to use Apple official macOS Sierra drivers that will give us access to better compatibility, faster transfer speeds and hot-swap capabilities?

We'll be adding these new boards to the next update of the Buyer's Guide. If Thunderbolt 1&2 are any historical reference, hot-swap support is likely never going to be coming, but I've been surprised before.

tonymacx86,

What else besides ssdtPRGen SSDT is required to get AppleLPC.kext to load on GA-Z170X-UD5 with i7-6700K ?
Is AppleLPC.kext loaded on your system?

As I said, I didn't fully configure this system with Power Management, but I'll test a few things and get back to you if I can.

config.plist from Clover? :)

The config.plist I'm using is based on universal defaults from MultiBeast and the settings I ran through it. It can be duplicated quite easily using the picture I posted as a reference.

still have one question....
if i power down the computer completly i still have to open windows , then quit and load osx for the thunderbolt to work...
that is NOT really a problem... but did anyone found a solution ?
does it have to do with the "booting procedure" (i tried different configuration...)

Couple of snippets from the TB3 type - c and Startech TB3 to TB2/TB1 adapter with various devices.

Akitio Thunderbolt External: Thunderbolt 3 USB Type-c Connection to back panel.

Available: 999.54 GB (999,542,480,896 bytes)

Capacity: 999.71 GB (999,711,309,824 bytes)

Mount Point: /Volumes/Akitio Thunderbolt External

File System: HFS+

Writable: Yes

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk3s2

Volume UUID: A97C9EAF-E18F-3BE3-80CD-8A8C6FB6E8E7

Physical Drive:

Device Name: AKiTiO Fast

Media Name: AKiTiO Fast Media

Medium Type: SSD

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

G-Drive External Thunderbolt: StarTech TB3 to TB1/TB2 adapter

Available: 999.2 GB (999,196,921,856 bytes)

Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)

Mount Point: /Volumes/G-Drive External Thunderbolt

File System: Journaled HFS+

Writable: Yes

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk2s2

Volume UUID: 20834C8E-4FC5-3941-B412-FD0E65436C29

Physical Drive:

Device Name: HGST HTS721010A9E630

Media Name: HGST HTS721010A9E630 Media

Medium Type: Rotational

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

AUDIO......

1248: StarTech TB3 to TB1/TB2 adapter MOTU 1248 AVB audio and Thunderbolt

Default Output Device: Yes

Default System Output Device: Yes

Input Channels: 34

Manufacturer: MOTU, Inc

Output Channels: 26

Current SampleRate: 44100

Transport: Thunderbolt

hello,
I could see on the Gigabyte site , the driver Thunderbolt 3 for z170-UD5 is not the same that z170-gaming 7.
If someone trying with a Gigabyte z170-gaming 7?

Finally got a Lynx Aurora 8 audio device with a LT-TB interface card working in Win10 and OSX via the Startech TB adapter on my Z170X-UD5-TH

Everything still works after a couple of restarts. Running an elaborate song in Cubase now, no problems AFAIK without having my monitors(speakers) connected.
Couldn't do anything useful with my tb display adapters, and I don't understand why all the rest of the TB stuff I tested wouldn't work.
But at least this is a start. Mobo is OK, adapter is OK, TB is finicky.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back