Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesnt show anything in the report. Would you suggest I install USBInject All and see if that helps?

That would be the simplest thing to do. I don't know if it will work.

Did you ever get Thunderbolt 3 working and stable?

I just read that entire Intel/TB3/OEM thread and I'm appalled at the passing of bucks between Intel and the OEMs. I've been putting together components for a studio build, but now a 2013 kernel-panic-plagued 6-core Mac Pro for Avid is starting to look pretty sweet. I hope you guys have some good news.

I just read that entire Intel/TB3/OEM thread and I'm appalled at the passing of bucks between Intel and the OEMs. I've been putting together components for a studio build, but now a 2013 kernel-panic-plagued 6-core Mac Pro for Avid is starting to look pretty sweet. I hope you guys have some good news.

I'm unable to comment about Thunderbolt, as I'm not using it daily on my Hackintosh. But you made me curious, so I will runs some tests when I have time for that.

Yes. I'm happily running 2 TB3 -> TB2 adapters (1 Apple and 1 Startech) with a TB2 -> Firewire adapter, and a TB2 LaCie Big5 RAID that has a Blackmagic Mini Monitor daisy chained off the back of it.

I am a video editor and Avid, Resolve, & Premiere all work happily with the RAID and passthrough video output. I run mostly on Windows 10 but bounce over to the Hack side if I need to use Autodesk Flame.

There's still no hot swapping of TB devices, but I can swap out Firewire drives quite happily.

On the odd occasion the TB devices won't be detected at boot up, but they usually reappear after a reboot. Or, on even rarer occasions, two.

If you want specifics on my build, tell me what you want, and I'll get that info for you. My system was configured by someone else far more knowledgeable than I!

In my experience, most TB audio interfaces will work(after initialising tb in Windows) in OSX. But TB on hacks is still half-baked, eg tb networking will not work, sleep is often a problem, no hot swap, restart instead of shutdown, etc.
Still, I make good use of my tb ports, also for attaching audiointerfaces. Pro Tools 12 HD works fine, for example.

TB is still one of the least developed parts of a Hackintosh. The people who have the knowledge to fix it(not trivial, BTW) are just not interested in spending a lot of time on fixing a niche port. Far more people will be happy with USB/GPU/WIFI/Bluetooth/ethernet fixes, so they concentrate on that.

Thanks for that, I hear you. Buying a Thunderbolt 2 device was an honest mistake because I had no idea that Apple would abandon their "trucks" -this has made me OS agnostic. If I had the knowledge to work on Thunderbolt issues, I'd take care of it for this community as an area of focus.

@jiffyslot: your Apollo 8/TB doesn't work in OSX? Not 100% sure, but I think I remember this was working for me, with a Startech TB3-TB2 adapter. I just had to remember it was connected and on before I booted my hack. Just like all other TB interfaces.

Sorry, I wasn't totally clear: I'm in the process of collecting parts to build my first rig. The Apollo 8 runs flawlessly on my genuine Mac Mini 2012 2.6 GHz (6,2 Intel i7-3720QM --the white whale!-- with 16GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM + 512GB Angelbird SSD) on High Sierra 10.13.5. The Apollo 8 is daisy-chained to my BlackMagicDesign MultiDock II that's full of SSDs. I'm using all-Apple Thunderbolt cables and I purchased and stashed an Apple TB2 to TB3 dongle-daptor. It's a really great setup, just not very powerful compared to what people are building on this site. I've got about a third of the parts that I can use in either an i9 or 8th gen i7. I'm just extremely cautious about building something that will only be semi-functional, even compared to a tricked-out Hades Canyon NUC.

Built my PC very carefully. Followed all instructions per hardware, BIOS, and installations...
...And FAIL on the Thunderbolt... Trying to find that magical Thunderbolt enabler... My GC Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card was updated via Windows 10 Pro.

Update: Thunderbolt and UAD Apollo 8 works in Windows only on port 1 of the GC Alpine Ridge Thunderbolt 3 card.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm happily running 2 TB3 -> TB2 adapters (1 Apple and 1 Startech) with a TB2 -> Firewire adapter, and a TB2 LaCie Big5 RAID that has a Blackmagic Mini Monitor daisy chained off the back of it.

I am a video editor and Avid, Resolve, & Premiere all work happily with the RAID and passthrough video output. I run mostly on Windows 10 but bounce over to the Hack side if I need to use Autodesk Flame.

There's still no hot swapping of TB devices, but I can swap out Firewire drives quite happily.

On the odd occasion the TB devices won't be detected at boot up, but they usually reappear after a reboot. Or, on even rarer occasions, two.

If you want specifics on my build, tell me what you want, and I'll get that info for you. My system was configured by someone else far more knowledgeable than I!

Why yes! Specifics, please! I did a test on the Mini between my Digidesign 003R (Firewire 400) and the UAD Apollo 8 Quad Thunderbolt. Although the converters are noticeably better and "punchier" on the UAD, the 003R is only 3ms "slower" in Pro Tools 2018.4 running a 24/44.1 session at a buffer setting of 128. Please and thank you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back