Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity, I updated to BIOS F22d. The update wiped all my BiOS settings, but anyway. I installed the TB firmware linked to by the 21 page/text although it says 16. And unfortunately, it is 16 AFAIK.
What a mess.

Can you upload the TB FW 21 package for my Z170x-UD5-TH, maybe? From where I live(northwest europe), it's nowhere to be found? I also tried the Asian download site, also still 16...

Now on with checking if everything still works.

Thunderbolt FW Update Tool says it's version B16.0818.1. When you install that, there should be a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\FlashTBT with a bin file that says rev21. Delete any other bin files. Run the firmware updater. Shutdown the computer. Unplug it for 30 seconds. Then restart. Look in the Intel Thunderbolt software to see the version of the NVM is updated to 21. This same number is shown in the macOS IO Registry under the NHI.

Thunderbolt FW Update Tool says it's version B16.0818.1. When you install that, there should be a folder C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\FlashTBT with a bin file that says rev21. Delete any other bin files. Run the firmware updater. Shutdown the computer. Unplug it for 30 seconds. Then restart. Look in the Intel Thunderbolt software to see the version of the NVM is updated to 21. This same number is shown in the macOS IO Registry under the NHI.
Hm. They don't make it easy, now don't they? Anyway, nvm is #21 now so I guess I'm up-to-date. Thanks!
Still hoping for a proper(better) TB/USB3.1 implementation for hackies, that's the last frontier for me now.

I'm very glad to report that I have an Asrock Z270M Extreme4, with an Asrock Thunderbolt 3 AIC, and a LaCie 3TB d2 which has both USB 3 and TB2 interfaces. I have Thunderbolt 3 working! I'm not worried about hot plug at this stage.

I'd read a recommendation to run it in Windows first. I had overlooked Asrock's advice in the MB manual to install the TB AIC in PCIe slot 4, so initially it wasn't recognised. Today I changed the slot, and it was recognised in Windows 10. I then booted my High Sierra 10.13.4 and the LaCie was recognised. It is connected to the AIC via an Apple TB3--TB2 adapter. Strange thing is that About this Mac says no Thunderbolt drivers are loaded, but there are a bunch of Apple TB kexts in /S/L/E, though I don't know that they help. In Windows I have Intel Thunderbolt 16.3.61.275 driver installed.

So I'm very happy. TB3 was my reason for migrating to the Asrock Z270M.

Sorry to say I've had to disable Thunderbolt for the time being. It was somehow interfering in any restart, causing constant "slashed circle" stops from clover after I chose any system to boot. Since disabling it, that has completely stopped. I'll be contacting Asrock tech support.

Sorry to say I've had to disable Thunderbolt for the time being. It was somehow interfering in any restart, causing constant "slashed circle" stops from clover after I chose any system to boot. Since disabling it, that has completely stopped. I'll be contacting Asrock tech support.

Ok, good news! My Asrock TB3 AIC is working well, after CMOS reset and changing BIOS settings. The manuals don't provide much information about Thunderbolt BIOS settings, and I think the "TBT Host Router" setting was the clincher. It defaults to "Two ports" but after the CMOS reset, "One port" got it going. My LaCie d2 TB2 hard drive shows up in System Report as SATA, but I'm not sure what speed it is working at.

Success with getting USB 3 and USB C working. However the attached USB C drive shows up in Finder and is accessible but it doesn't show in System report. It does show in IoRegistry explorer as in the image under RP05. Ive also lost SR01 and SR02
Is there a reason it doesn't show in my system report and why the two ports disappeared in the registry and is it relevant. They were there before I removed the USBInjectAll.kext and disappeared after I patch the config file with ReHabmans instructions.
I haven't had the chance to test the thunderbolt 3 as Im waiting on an adaptor.
Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 6.15.01 PM.png

Success with getting USB 3 and USB C working. However the attached USB C drive shows up in Finder and is accessible but it doesn't show in System report. It does show in IoRegistry explorer as in the image under RP05. Ive also lost SR01 and SR02
Is there a reason it doesn't show in my system report and why the two ports disappeared in the registry and is it relevant. They were there before I removed the USBInjectAll.kext and disappeared after I patch the config file with ReHabmans instructions.
I haven't had the chance to test the thunderbolt 3 as Im waiting on an adaptor.
Why did you remove the USBInjectAll.kext?

SR01 and SR02 are relevant if they corresponded to a physical port. Did they correspond to a physical port?

The system report should show a USB 3.1 Bus with a Host Controller Driver of AppleUSBXHCIAR, PCI Device ID 0x15b6, PCI Vendor ID 0x8086.

Why did you remove the USBInjectAll.kext?

SR01 and SR02 are relevant if they corresponded to a physical port. Did they correspond to a physical port?

The system report should show a USB 3.1 Bus with a Host Controller Driver of AppleUSBXHCIAR, PCI Device ID 0x15b6, PCI Vendor ID 0x8086.

I followed instructions to set them up natively on a post I found. They work fine I can put it back I don’t know if they will conflict because I only need for USB 3 andthe four USB2 and the USBC.
I want the thunderbolt for the near future. For the For the thunderbolt I followed the instructions in this thread. Bios ver 22g installed TBT 21.

It doesnt show anything in the report. Would you suggest I install USBInject All and see if that helps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back