Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haswell seems to be less tolerant of older memory used in 6 & 7 series motherboards (Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, respectively). Older memory, especially DDR3 1600 type, may result in system freezes if the BIOS parameter XMP is set to Profile1 as in previous Ivy Bridge motherboards. Be sure to use new memory on Gigabyte's list of supported memory, or newer memory that is Haswell ready/approved. The Corsair Vengeance LP memory used in this build is on Gigabyte's list. The motherboard recognizes the memory and it's respective DDR3 1600 parameters with the BIOS XMP parameter set to Default.
-- http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...7mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a-60.html#post649769

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

My build is in the signature. It's pretty similar to this setup and definitely comparable configuration wise. I'm using CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 as my RAM. It's not in the list of Gigabyte supported RAM that tonymacx86 originally posted, but I'm pretty sure it's fine with hackintoshes?

I was facing some random freezing before, often directly after inserting a usb flashdrive. Do you think this is the cause?

MKBHD used it in his build and it worked fine (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBsP89CPrMeOwWHwmD6FzkKIca-GjAD_f)... that was in early 2013 though.

Also, how do I set BIOS XMP to Default, I don't need to change something if I haven't messed with the BIOS settings yet, right?

I kind of ducttape-glue-fixed the disappearing audio problem in another a little bit more acceptable way (my alternative was to go into and return from standby).

At least it fixed the way it was disappearing for me (it always disappeared for me when pausing sth. I was watching on youtube or another streaming platform)

I downloaded an empty audio file here http://www.xamuel.com/blank-mp3s/ (I have the 5 min version)
And I have it playing in a loop in the background in VLC :crazy:. Since then my audio has not disappeared.

Not perfect but better than my previous standby/wakeup solution.

Page 10 of the motherboard manual: * The DisplayPort does not support other types of display connections by adapter.

So does it work fine when connected directly to DVI-D?

My manual says that the DVI-D Port would not support a to-DSUB-adapter. Which is okay for me.

DVI-D and HDMI work fine but I can not get any signal out of the DisplayPort. I also tried Windows and with original Intel drivers no signal either. Any idea how to debug this? Might the port have a defect?

UEFI Settings
1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Set to Optimized Defaults.
3. (Optional) Set X.M.P. Memory Profile to Profile1
4. Save and exit.

I heard something about how OS X cannot boot in UEFI but only legacy when I was researching dual booting methods (os x + win)? I installed OS X following the instructions above (and making sure AHCI was set), and everything worked fine (didn't mess with any settings using the word "legacy"). I'm going to install Windows soon on my rig (visible in signature) that is very similar to that of this.

Do you know exactly what I'm supposed to do here with the BIOS settings?

PS: I know the rest of the process, just need help with the BIOS settings. posted it here since it's all installation on a very similar build with same software config, etc.

I heard something about how OS X cannot boot in UEFI but only legacy when I was researching dual booting methods (os x + win)? I installed OS X following the instructions above (and making sure AHCI was set), and everything worked fine (didn't mess with any settings using the word "legacy"). I'm going to install Windows soon on my rig (visible in signature) that is very similar to that of this.

Do you know exactly what I'm supposed to do here with the BIOS settings?

PS: I know the rest of the process, just need help with the BIOS settings. posted it here since it's all installation on a very similar build with same software config, etc.

You can boot OSX using legacy mode (Chimera/Chameleon) or UEFI mode (Clover).

Your bios settings should be simple, and only need change the boot settings to enable (Or not) CSM, which is Compatibility Support Mode. With most boards you can pick Legacy Only, UEFI Only, or auto/mixed mode. If you already use Clover then you can set it to UEFI only. Just remember to change the OS type to non-Windows.

Okay, so I'm a little new to this business, please confirm if I have this right...

I already installed OS X and I'm going to go down path of installing windows, but before doing that I just switch to "Legacy Only" and I'll be good to go?

I haven't done anything or installed anything additional yet, so I'm guessing I'm not using Clover?

Okay, so I'm a little new to this business, please confirm if I have this right...

I already installed OS X and I'm going to go down path of installing windows, but before doing that I just switch to "Legacy Only" and I'll be good to go?

I haven't done anything or installed anything additional yet, so I'm guessing I'm not using Clover?

Well you would know if you had installed Clover. Did you pick the Chimera option in Multibeast ?

Yeah, selected chimera (it was the default)...
So guess that means no clover, and the changing BIOS setting to "Legacy Only" would work fine for OS X and Windows in the dual boot process?

I'm reinstalling via MultiBeast right now to fix a few things that I didn't do correctly the first time.
I don't see the network option that tony selected here... http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...ell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-mb.jpg
My intel options are AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14, v2.5.4d, v3.0.4... My rig is in the signature, which would I select?

UPDATE: I'm thinking it's 2.4.14 because of http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...d-4600-screen-shot-2013-11-12-10.55.25-am.png

Additionally, do I need to select any of the ethernet options? I will be using ethernet

Why did tony not have "Use KernelCache" selected along with "Generate CPU states" and "Hibernate Mode - Desktop"? Those are there by default for me, should I unselect?

Yeah, selected chimera (it was the default)...
So guess that means no clover, and the changing BIOS setting to "Legacy Only" would work fine for OS X and Windows in the dual boot process?

I'm reinstalling via MultiBeast right now to fix a few things that I didn't do correctly the first time.
I don't see the network option that tony selected here... http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...ell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-mb.jpg
My intel options are AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14, v2.5.4d, v3.0.4... My rig is in the signature, which would I select?

UPDATE: I'm thinking it's 2.4.14 because of http://www.tonymacx86.com/attachmen...d-4600-screen-shot-2013-11-12-10.55.25-am.png

Additionally, do I need to select any of the ethernet options? I will be using ethernet

Why did tony not have "Use KernelCache" selected along with "Generate CPU states" and "Hibernate Mode - Desktop"? Those are there by default for me, should I unselect?

If you have Chimera installed then yes, use the legacy option.

You should be able to use 3.0.4 of the ethernet driver. If it doesn't work then you can remove it and go for the earlier version.

What will be the impact of selecting/unselecting?

UPDATE: My motherboard has usb 3.0 ports, but I never selected the "USB 3.0 - Universal" option under Misc. Is that necessary? Tony didn't select it either, but it's not a default one. Will my USB 3.0 ports just work natively without that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back