Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in case this helps others with this motherboard and disconnecting drives on USB3. I was having one specific drive continually disconnect and reconnect.

In my case, it seemed to be power-related in the end - it would only happen when I had two devices plugged in to USB3 ports on top of my case. When one was plugged in to USB2 port, no issues at all.

I presume that the USB header - whichever one maps to my top/front ports - from the motherboard just can't provide enough power to the two USB3 ports on top simultaneously and stably. So plugging in to other ports (back of unit or elsewhere) may do the trick.

I updated my Z87MX-D3H based system (Zippy) to 10.12.6 without any problems using the MAS updater. Everything appears to working well.

Anyone updated to High Sierra (beta) or special tips on preparing? Now on 12.6 with no problems, will wait for Nvidia drivers before updating, but thinking now about how to do this.

I'm running High Sierra on an apple machine, no issues related to HS.

Armoured,

No, I haven't tried the High Sierra Public Betas mainly because of the new AFPS. I haven't even tried it on my Mac Pros. I'll await the Golden Master (GM) version of HS. However, I'm very concerned about the AFPS, and it's impact on file sharing especially with my NAS and a 2009 MBP that can't use HS.

I typically don't upgrade a production system until the 10.x.3 release as by then most of the major bugs have been corrected.

No, I haven't tried the High Sierra Public Betas mainly because of the new AFPS. I haven't even tried it on my Mac Pros. I'll await the Golden Master (GM) version of HS. However, I'm very concerned about the AFPS, and it's impact on file sharing especially with my NAS and a 2009 MBP that can't use HS.

My understanding if you're talking about APFS and the 'deprecation' of AFP - and I'm not certain about this, so don't take this as gospel - is that the limitation is that you can't share from an APFS drive over AFP (i.e. to your older computers and possibly NAS). It should not limit your ability to share from other (older) computers, or even from other non-APFS drives on a High Sierra computer to other computers. I've upgraded two computers on the public beta (most recent) and it did not touch any other drives, only the boot drive. I've only tested/used file sharing from a Sierra-era computer (this hackintosh) to the other two, and no problems discovered.

But I can understand wanting to wait for it to stabilize. I'll want to upgrade relatively soon, but no rush.

My understanding if you're talking about APFS and the 'deprecation' of AFP - and I'm not certain about this, so don't take this as gospel - is that the limitation is that you can't share from an APFS drive over AFP
Sounds accurate - and file sharing in macOS has been over samba by default for sometime now (since 2013), so the deprecation of AFP is not really new.

I can report success in upgrading my Hack to High Sierra. But not without difficulty - although much of the difficulty was on my side (mistakes were made, and a drive failed).

So my most critical Hackintosh-specific piece of advice: if at all possible, avoid the conversion to APFS for the boot drive. Or at least separate the steps of upgrading to High Sierra from the APFS conversion. I did actually get it running on an APFS drive, but then wiped and restored to a high sierra HFS+ drive. Right now (my explanation) the EFI partitions that the hackintosh stuff relies on are different under APFS and it's not worth the effort. On HFS+, everything basically runs as before; I did have some minor issues with updating the Nvidia web drivers - that occasioned rebooting with some boot flags different (it's possible they were just incorrect).

Non-hackintosh specific advice: have at least two backups before a major system change. I had some issues that my bootable backup drive turned out to be failing, so when I needed to revert to my backup drive, there were complications.

Note that this was for a non-critical production machine; advice to wait until things have settled down is wiser than my approach.

In my case, what ended up working was a wipe of the system drive and a clean install (no convert to APFS). Then I just did migrate from a working backup drive. The wipe and clean install may not have been necessary had I not run into problems of various types, including boot issues with APFS.

Hope this helps. Again, biggest takeaways are simple: double-check your backups, and IMO, avoid APFS conversion for now.

More specific details on what worked for me (far too many reinstall iterations to get this right):

- did a clean install (note very important, had a good working backup of entire drive) using the HFS no-convert option;
- made sure I could consistently boot from the USB drive;
- modified config.plist on USB drive to have boot flag verbose and turn off nvidia disable (otherwise had to reselect/deselect respectively every time);
- downloaded and got Nvidia web driver working (note: immediately after first installation and reboot seemed to be an issue, but a second reboot had it running fine);
- ran MultiBeast - didn't seem to take in that could not boot from main boot drive;
- opened EFI of USB drive and main drive;
- copied any 'missing' kexts from USB drive to main boot drive;
- copied config.plist from USB to main boot drive.

After this I was able to boot consistently from main boot drive; checked by booting and then removing USB. Audio was not functioning.
- ran MultiBeast using / adding only the audio driver. Audio now worked.

- Used Migration Assistant to move all files over. IMPORTANT:Migration Assistant gives option to move user files and folders; applications; and 'other files' and 'computer and network settings.' I recommend leaving out (de-selecting by unchecking) the computer and network settings - at least, possibly also the other files. It seemed that there was something being copied over in the computer and network settings migration that was causing problems (although not 100% certain). Note this could leave something important behind; I was able to check by using Carbon Copy Cloner, I'm sure there are other ways, what files were not being copied over. (I wont try to explain that, too complicated)

After this everything was working and only minor settings to be tweaked in userspace, nothing hackintosh-related was causing an issue.

I tried updating Clover first (from Sierra), and then had issues with booting Sierra from the SSD. I attempted a direct update to High Sierra, which failed miserably. Since I had a solid backup on external via CC, I did a fresh install using UniBeast, and migrated everything from the backup with zero problems. I had no issues with checking the "computer and network settings" as discussed by Armoured.

After "successfully installing" Clover via MultiBeast, I still cannot boot from the SSD ( I went ahead and tried the AFPS conversion rather than sticking with HFS), and found to have same as Armoured's issues above. It boots from the USB fine. I have no sound, but I've fixed that many times before and I would guess the issues are the same - just haven't gotten there yet.

My main issue is with computer graphics with any browser save Safari. Both Chrome/Opera have major glitching/blanks/jitters that render them basically unusable. All other graphics appear to be fine (using onboard HD4600- essentially identical build to Armoured). I'll post further as I investigate.

update to my build's update to High Sierra. The build is the subject board, i5 Haswell, using integrated graphics, and an SSD boot drive.

1. (probably my fault) Clover update did not go well, so decided on a "fresh install" of High Sierra using Unibeast. Note: I did an AFS install; not HFS.
2. Install went fine; no problems with booting from USB. Could not get MultiBeast Clover install to boot. At all.
3. Followed Armored's trail, and configured bootdisk EFI to match USB EFI components (after I totally deleted the CLOVER folder in the EFI and then did a "Quick Install" MultiBeast). Now system boots no problem from SSD bootdisk.
4. Migration from CC backup on external went fine with zero problems.
5. MultiBeast install of audio failed repeatedly with SIP settings at 0x3. Successful at 0x67. Audio is fine now.

Result: My system is pretty much totally restored, but I have a glitchy video issue: Opera and Chrome are basically unusable as I have flickering/blanks/etc. Not so bad on Safari (usable, at least). Video files (any format) will not play on VLC, but will play on software editing devices. To this end, I added MultiBeast Intel graphics fix, and added shiki.kext to kext folder in Clover, and boot argument -shikivga via Clover Configurator. No change. Youtube videos will play, but the menu bar at the bottom constantly flickers (on Safari).

If anyone has any ideas how to fix my graphics issue, I'd have my tribe sing their praises around the campfire for eternity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back