Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
I tried updating Clover first (from Sierra), and then had issues with booting Sierra from the SSD. I attempted a direct update to High Sierra, which failed miserably. Since I had a solid backup on external via CC, I did a fresh install using UniBeast, and migrated everything from the backup with zero problems. I had no issues with checking the "computer and network settings" as discussed by Armoured.

After "successfully installing" Clover via MultiBeast, I still cannot boot from the SSD ( I went ahead and tried the AFPS conversion rather than sticking with HFS), and found to have same as Armoured's issues above. It boots from the USB fine. I have no sound, but I've fixed that many times before and I would guess the issues are the same - just haven't gotten there yet.

My main issue is with computer graphics with any browser save Safari. Both Chrome/Opera have major glitching/blanks/jitters that render them basically unusable. All other graphics appear to be fine (using onboard HD4600- essentially identical build to Armoured). I'll post further as I investigate.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
update to my build's update to High Sierra. The build is the subject board, i5 Haswell, using integrated graphics, and an SSD boot drive.

1. (probably my fault) Clover update did not go well, so decided on a "fresh install" of High Sierra using Unibeast. Note: I did an AFS install; not HFS.
2. Install went fine; no problems with booting from USB. Could not get MultiBeast Clover install to boot. At all.
3. Followed Armored's trail, and configured bootdisk EFI to match USB EFI components (after I totally deleted the CLOVER folder in the EFI and then did a "Quick Install" MultiBeast). Now system boots no problem from SSD bootdisk.
4. Migration from CC backup on external went fine with zero problems.
5. MultiBeast install of audio failed repeatedly with SIP settings at 0x3. Successful at 0x67. Audio is fine now.

Result: My system is pretty much totally restored, but I have a glitchy video issue: Opera and Chrome are basically unusable as I have flickering/blanks/etc. Not so bad on Safari (usable, at least). Video files (any format) will not play on VLC, but will play on software editing devices. To this end, I added MultiBeast Intel graphics fix, and added shiki.kext to kext folder in Clover, and boot argument -shikivga via Clover Configurator. No change. Youtube videos will play, but the menu bar at the bottom constantly flickers (on Safari).

If anyone has any ideas how to fix my graphics issue, I'd have my tribe sing their praises around the campfire for eternity.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Final update: I noticed my system report showed 7MB RAM for the graphics. Went back into Clover Configurator, and injected a device ID of 0x04128086 and in the Graphics section I injected 0x0d220003 and checked "inject EDID & Intel". Everything is fine now. System boots properly, and zero graphics issues.

Motherboard
Z87MX-D3h
CPU
Core i7
Graphics
Integrated
Hi Gaucho. I am having the exact same issue with my machine. Z87MX-d3h using HD 4600. It shows 7mb ram. Can you screenshot the specific fields in Clover Configurator you put in? I don't have much experience of using this. My machine is usable, but get distortions and text is pixelated.

Thanks! Any help appreciated.

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Hi Gaucho. I am having the exact same issue with my machine. Z87MX-d3h using HD 4600. It shows 7mb ram. Can you screenshot the specific fields in Clover Configurator you put in? I don't have much experience of using this. My machine is usable, but get distortions and text is pixelated.

Thanks! Any help appreciated.
Clover1.png
clover2.png

Motherboard
Z87MX-D3h
CPU
Core i7
Graphics
Integrated
Fantastic Gauchomac. My computer now recognises Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB. Audio through my display now works also which is a bonus! I feel the text is still somewhat blurred (an example attached). A great step forward though. Thank you! Could this be something to do with QI/QE? I am going to play around with calibration also. Would you expect the frame buffer to be showing 24 bit?

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 21.37.50.png

Attachments

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
Fantastic Gauchomac. My computer now recognises Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB. Audio through my display now works also which is a bonus! I feel the text is still somewhat blurred (an example attached). A great step forward though. Thank you! Could this be something to do with QI/QE? I am going to play around with calibration also.

View attachment 295760
glad it worked for you. Frankly, I'm as naive as you are - I had just googled around, and found several settings to put in - I had figured it was an id issue from several other threads I read. Those settings worked the best - but I don't know if they are the best for you. my version is set at imac 14,2. You might also check your system settings/resolution. cheers!

Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
Intel HD Graphics 4600 1536 MB
duplicate

Last edited:
Motherboard
GA-Z87MX-D3H
CPU
i5-4670K
Graphics
HD4600
Has anyone tried to soup this board up with a faster SSD? I've got a regular SATA SSD, and it's pretty obvious that for my uses (general but photography probably the most notable heavy usage). So I'm considering dropping in a m.2 SSD, since those are now getting pretty cheap and are very fast.

I don't really need this, but it would be nice. I gather from noodling around on here that getting a faster drive happening would be pretty simple, but booting would likely not be possible.

Now, for image files, that would still be a pretty substantial speed-up, but obviously would be nice if it could be made bootable.