Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's Haswell mATX: GA-Z87MX-D3H - i7-4770K - HD 4600

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was also lead to believe that, yet they did not work. Advertised 1600Mhz, actually gave 1333 with xmp default (off). I actually am in contact with a GA Engineer at the moment regarding RAM and memory allocation issues (Resulting in system lock ups, OsX and Win though OsX seems to be more sensitive).

It just seems like this is a very sensitive motherboard.

Will update when a conclusion is made.

I was also lead to believe that, yet they did not work. Advertised 1600Mhz, actually gave 1333 with xmp default (off). I actually am in contact with a GA Engineer at the moment regarding RAM and memory allocation issues (Resulting in system lock ups, OsX and Win though OsX seems to be more sensitive).

It just seems like this is a very sensitive motherboard.

Will update when a conclusion is made.

I see the same thing with my RAM as well. My system freezes are relatively predictable and avoidable.

This RAM is on the list, and it fits beneath the Noctua NH-D14:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231757

Damn, everything was working, already installed several of my needed apps, moved files, and was very happy about not having any freezes.

Today (already 10 hour usage but with breaks here and there) suddenly my hackintosh died. Completely.
I was downloading Team Fortress 2 just to see how games are running. Didn't do any fancy stuff, the computer just turned off and never turned back on again.

Even with the mainboard lying on the floor (not in the case, so I can be sure the motherboard can't short-circuit with the chassis) and just connected power, CPU, fan (+needed cables) and Power switch nothing is happing. No LED, no fan turning, nothing indicating some sort of life.

I have no idea what to do. What could be defect ? CPU ? Mainboard ? Corsair CX600M ? RAM ?
But I guess if only RAM or CPU would be defect something should light up or turn nevertheless, even just for a second, shouldn't it ?

By the way, I'd have a digital multimeter but I don't know where to test what.

EDIT:
OK tested 24 pin connector, and 8 pin cpu connector all volt-values are correct. But when I connect to mainboard and try to start the computer (also simulated power button with paper clip) no activity.
So it's the mainboard, right ?

i7 4770 on GA-Z87MX-DH3
should it run on 3.69 Ghz ? I remember it showed that speed, I thought it's the Turbo Boost kicking in ... ? But maybe it shouldn't show 3.69 but the advertised 3.4 ?

Are you sure the computer is dead? Or perhaps it's just video out that's the issue. You might consider filling out your profile and signature with the components in your build to make it a little easier to help you figure out problems.

I keep having problems with audio (no sound at all after some time).

Tried repair permissions
In multibeast installed Without DSDT->ALC892 again (is this right?)
repair permissions again

Tried plug/unplug.

I haven't figured out what triggers it. Once it went of while watching a stream.
Right now it was off after returning from standby, I think.

By the way Bios F6, optimized defaults, VT-d disabled, X.M.P. Profile disabled

If there is no solution to audio gone, is there a way to kickstart it again without OS X reboot ?

i7 4770 on GA-Z87MX-DH3
should it run on 3.69 Ghz ? I remember it showed that speed, I thought it's the Turbo Boost kicking in ... ? But maybe it shouldn't show 3.69 but the advertised 3.4 ?

4770 is 3.69 w 3.9 boost. It should never show anything under 3.69 unless you are underclocking it.

I keep having problems with audio (no sound at all after some time).

Tried repair permissions
In multibeast installed Without DSDT->ALC892 again (is this right?)
repair permissions again

Tried plug/unplug.

I haven't figured out what triggers it. Once it went of while watching a stream.
Right now it was off after returning from standby, I think.

By the way Bios F6, optimized defaults, VT-d disabled, X.M.P. Profile disabled

If there is no solution to audio gone, is there a way to kickstart it again without OS X reboot ?

10.9.2 brought some audio issues. hold tight.

thx. So I guess I'll have to check periodically for a new MultiBeast, right ?

Btw. the employees where I returned my broken Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H weren't surprised at all. I thought I'd have to fight and explain myself for returning a recently bought Gigabyte.
Au contraire, my guy said it happens quite a lot, it's mostly controller defects, and a 2nd employee serving another client was eavesdropping and added, 'yeah, lately Gigabyte mainboards are real crap'.

They suggested ASUS mainboards, otherwise MSI or ASROCK.

4770 is 3.69 w 3.9 boost. It should never show anything under 3.69 unless you are underclocking it.

Actually, 4770 (without the "k") is supposed to be clocked at 3.4 ghz and 3.9 with turbo...
http://ark.intel.com/products/75122/Intel-Core-i7-4770-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz

The locked equivalent to 4770k is 4771, intel switched up their naming system this time, not sure why.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now to my question...

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-builds/106748-tonymacx86s-haswell-matx-ga-z87mx-d3h-i7-4770k-hd-4600-a-58.html#post649769

The rig in my signature is slightly modified when compared to tony's. Is the configuration in the guide linked above the same that I should use? If not, what should I change?

(Sorry if this is a dumb question, first hackintosh...)

...The locked equivalent to 4770k is 4771, intel switched up their naming system this time, not sure why...
Intel bumped the clock speed by 0.1GHz. There's rumors as why they came out with the 4771 - manufacturing improvements...4770 had a minor issue...etc.

Now to my question...The rig in my signature is slightly modified when compared to tony's. Is the configuration in the guide linked above the same that I should use? If not, what should I change?
You should be fine. The critical components to successfully installing OS X is the motherboard, processor, graphics card/method and (for Haswell) memory (see the motherboard's memory list). See the tonymacx86 Buyer's Guide for more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back