Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's ASUS Test Build: Z97-A - i3-4340 - HD4600 - Thunderbolt EX II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Either brand works, however you need to install the Windows Drivers once to wake up the Thunderbolt firmware.

Hi, I have my machine running with Yosemite. I have the ThunderboltEX 2 card I want to install.
These are the basics of my machine.

Asus Sabertooth Mark2 w/ i7 4790K, no 3rd party video card.

I'm having trouble comprehending how you install Windows Drivers on OSX? Can you detail?

Thanks

I'm also having problems installing the drivers necessary to use the ASUS TB card. I got everything to run smoothly with OS X 10.10.5 but I'm not sure how to go about installing windows drivers on to the motherboard without damaging the OS X that I have already installed.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I've just finished a new build for a friend
Z97-A
i7 4790
16 gb ram
evga GT740
samsung ssd 840pro
1tb second hard disk
Thunderbolt Ex expansion on the last Pci-ex at the bottom of the mainboard

I've installed win 8 on the tera disk making a little partition of 50gb.
I've installed the asus drivers for audio, lan, sata, chipset and the thunderbolt ex expansion
I've shut down the pc and attached the Apollo audio interface via thunderbolt cable.
I changed the thunderbolt bios security settings to ask to approve when the tb were connected.
Restarted to windows and, bang, it asked me to approve the connection on the thunderbolt. Approve, shut down.
Then I unplugged the tera disk with windows and plugged in the ssd. I also unplugged the audio interface.
Unibeast usb with El capitan. Installed osx and rebooted using the usb as boot disk, nv_disable=1in clover boot options (without it i had a spinning circle on black screen), configured osx and reached the deskotp.
I used multibeast, with those settings:
Uefi boot
Audio: Realtek ALC892
Disk:3rd party sata
Misc:FakeSMC, with plugins and hardware monitor.
Network:intel-AppleIntelE1000
System Definition:MacPro3,1
Rebooted, this time from ssd uefi, nv_disable=1 again, reached the desktop, downloaded the 10.11.3 combo update and started it.
After the Reboot, nv_disable=1, I reached the desktop, downloaded the nvidia web drivers for 10.11.3 and installed it, the I selected the nvidia drivers from system preferences. I also installed the UAD audio drivers (Apollo thunderbolt) and Shut down.
I plugged the Apollo thunderbolt, i've started the pc, this time without nv_disable=1 using the nvidia drivers.
Reached the desktop with full functioning system with working sleep/wake, just some random usb issues i solved reading the usb fix topic for El Capitan.
The UAD Apollo TB is working really good with Logic X and 64bit plugins...
I use an Asus N13 wifi dongle with his own Mac drivers and an Asus BT400 bluetooth dongle working OTB for a magic mouse.
that's it.

Got this board today due to it being seemingly pretty easy to use and wanted to get a system up with Thunderbolt. Came with a BIOS from August 2015 (2600 some).

i7 4790
8GB RAM

Loaded Optimized Defaults, changed Secure Boot to other OS.

Built Unibeast USB with 6.1.1 and El Cap 10.11.3

First was hit with an ACPI PlatformExpert KP. Was able to boot into the installer by removing "fix sound" from the Clover fixes.

Now I'm stuck because in Disk Utility in the installer, no drives are showing up to format. I've tried booting the USB stick both UEFI and Legacy, no dice either way. The drives show up fine within the BIOS and Windows Setup, so I know it's not the hardware.

Any ideas?

**EDIT** Scratch that, for some reason when I installed UniBeast over a previous Unibeast, I still had gremlins of legacy and UEFI mixed together. A fresh Unibeast USB stick solved the issue.

Z97-A
i7 4790
16 gb ram
evga GT740
samsung ssd 840pro
1tb second hard disk

I've installed win 8 on the tera disk making a little partition of 50gb.
I've installed the asus drivers for audio, lan, sata, chipset and the thunderbolt ex expansion
I've shut down the pc and attached the Apollo audio interface via thunderbolt cable.
I changed the thunderbolt bios security settings to ask to approve when the tb were connected.
Restarted to windows and, bang, it asked me to approve the connection on the thunderbolt. Approve, shut down.
Then I unplugged the tera disk with windows and plugged in the ssd. I also unplugged the audio interface.
Unibeast usb with El capitan. Installed osx and rebooted using the usb as boot disk, nv_disable=1in clover boot options (without it i had a spinning circle on black screen), configured osx and reached the deskotp.
I used multibeast, with those settings:
Uefi boot
Audio: Realtek ALC892
Disk:3rd party sata
Misc:FakeSMC, with plugins and hardware monitor.
Network:intel-AppleIntelE1000
System Definition:MacPro3,1
Rebooted, this time from ssd uefi, nv_disable=1 again, reached the desktop, downloaded the 10.11.3 combo update and started it.
After the Reboot, nv_disable=1, I reached the desktop, downloaded the nvidia web drivers for 10.11.3 and installed it, the I selected the nvidia drivers from system preferences. I also installed the UAD audio drivers (Apollo thunderbolt) and Shut down.
I plugged the Apollo thunderbolt, i've started the pc, this time without nv_disable=1 using the nvidia drivers.
Reached the desktop with full functioning system with working sleep/wake, just some random usb issues i solved reading the usb fix topic for El Capitan.
The UAD Apollo TB is working really good with Logic X and 64bit plugins...
I use an Asus N13 wifi dongle with his own Mac drivers and an Asus BT400 bluetooth dongle working OTB for a magic mouse.
that's it.

Hi, i just bought the same asus mainboard, and have the same gpu, same cpu too, i just wanted to know where did you connect the displayport cable (the one that comes with the tb card). Because i have igpu disable, can i have both igpu and gt740 working?

thanks

Hey Guys need some help!!!
I've got my hands on the Asus Thunderbolt ex2 dual for my Z170-deluxe (spec mentioned in my profile),
but cant get my Osx to LOAD (ElCapitan 10.11.4)...

What type of ram did you use for this build?

Did you run into any problems in the process?

What type of ram did you use for this build?

If you're asking tonymacx86 what brand of memory he used in Z97-A system...well, see post #1.

Z97-A
i7 4790
16 gb ram
evga GT740
samsung ssd 840pro
1tb second hard disk

Sorry guys, Im new to posting and asking Q´s.

Tozzo what type of ram did you use for this build?

Also did you have to connect PCIe cord with cable to motherboards display-port?
If you are only using Thunderbolt for UAD soundcard I was thinking display-port is not not necessary or?

Last edited:
hi tony and stork , i am very new to mackintosh world. I want to build a mackintosh for my audio production

Components :-

Motherboard - asus z97A
processor - intel core i74790
ram -hyperx 8gb ddd3
ssd - samsung evo 500gb
hdd - segate 4tb sshd
case - corsair 100r silent edition
dvd/cd drive - LG dvd writer
asus thunderboltEXII dual card to connect my apollo twin via thunderbolt.

can you guys guide me with the steps for bias configuration , unibeast setting and MultiBeast setting.......

i am planning to use clover as the boot loader.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back