Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's ASUS Test Build: Z97-A - i3-4340 - HD4600 - Thunderbolt EX II

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if I configure it with i5-4590 and crucial ball. (8GB) instead?

Z97-A
i5-4590 or i5-4460
Crucial ball. (8GB)
Corsair RM650
Corsair 300R

Do I have to add GPU?

What if I configure it with i5-4590 and crucial ball. (8GB) instead?

Z97-A
i5-4590 or i5-4460
Crucial ball. (8GB)
Corsair RM650
Corsair 300R

Do I have to add GPU?
No, you don't need a graphics/video card with your proposed processor. Did you check Intel's site for each processor?
i5-4590 > http://ark.intel.com/products/80815/Intel-Core-i5-4590-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_70-GHz
i5-4460 > http://ark.intel.com/products/80817/Intel-Core-i5-4460-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz

My only caution is to make sure your memory (make and model number) is on both the Gigabyte H97N Memory Support List and Crucial's motherboard support list. Check also that your power supply is rated Haswell "ready" or "compatible." Both of these items can contribute to what's known as the Haswell freeze.

Hello,

OK, so this is my first build, first post, etc. When I saw Tony's Asus build with integrated graphics I was quite optimistic. So I decided to build a minimalistic setup to figure out if it worked for me, so only a mobo, intel chip and ram. Other parts will be replaced once I can make it run fine.
My parts:

ASUS Z97-A (BIOS version 1205)
i3-4370 with HD 4600
8GB HyperX ram
80 GB Maxtor HDD

Installation:
Installed Unibeast and Multibeast on 32GB stick and assembled my pc. Then I started fussing aruond with boot flags and I managed to get to the installation screen with -v -x IGPEnabler=No, which is fine. After the installation tried to reboot the system with the same flags, but this time unsuccesfull. Read some threads, tried a bunch of flag combinations, didn't work. Also changed the recommended BIOS settings but same error.
My error: (used VGA)
File 2015. 03. 28. 11 09 41.jpg
Did I messed my flags up by trying so much combinations? Should I start a fresh install? Can someone explain me which flags and BIOS settings are relevant in this case? (otherwise it's just random guesses I can try):crazy:

EDIT: I'm not using a "Haswell compatible" PSU, but the fact that i could install the OS proves that it's okay, I guess.

Thanks a lot!

For a thunderbolt card succesful installation, would you rather recommend Gigabyte instead of Asus ?

Either brand works, however you need to install the Windows Drivers once to wake up the Thunderbolt firmware.

Hello...

Did I messed my flags up by trying so much combinations? Should I start a fresh install? Can someone explain me which flags and BIOS settings are relevant in this case? (otherwise it's just random guesses I can try):crazy:

EDIT: I'm not using a "Haswell compatible" PSU, but the fact that i could install the OS proves that it's okay, I guess.

Thanks a lot!
32GB is too much for the installation. You'll either have to remove all but one memory stick or use this boot flag until you're thru with your installation: maxmem=4096.

It works with asus Z97-AR + 4790K + nvidia 660GTX + 2x8GB crucial + 2 SSD + raid controler (2x1TB raid0) and Yosemite 10.10.2

I have changed my MB Asus P8z77 Deluxe with i7 2600k by the above

I only change the MB and put the old disk to the Yosemite. Everything worked perfect, minus the audio. Obviously, it is another model
I have not tried a new installation, by a matter of time, but I'll do it later and notice them.

Thanks Tony for your work.

32GB is too much for the installation. You'll either have to remove all but one memory stick or use this boot flag until you're thru with your installation: maxmem=4096.

Sorry, I was not specific enough, so I have only one 8 GB RAM stick and used a 32GB USB stick to install the OS.
Should I still use maxmem flag? Which other flags should I use it with?
Thanks

Sorry, I was not specific enough, so I have only one 8 GB RAM stick and used a 32GB USB stick to install the OS.
Should I still use maxmem flag? Which other flags should I use it with?
Thanks
I'd try using "-v maxmem=4096" for the initial installation. Then, for the 2nd part of installation, use -v -x. You shouldn't need any other flags. Be sure your BIOS is 1205+ as tonymacx86 stated, and use his BIOS parameter recommendations.

I'd try using "-v maxmem=4096" for the initial installation. Then, for the 2nd part of installation, use -v -x. You shouldn't need any other flags. Be sure your BIOS is 1205+ as tonymacx86 stated, and use his BIOS parameter recommendations.

OK, tried "-v maxmem=4096" for the initial installation from the USB. BIOS is v1205, recommended setting for my setup as long as I know is "Other OS" instead "Windows" everything else was good at default. (still using VGA display if that's a thing) Got this instead of installing screen:
File 2015. 04. 17. 15 42 07.jpg

Next move?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back