Contribute
Register

tonymacx86's ASUS Test Build: Z97-A - i3-4340 - HD4600 - Thunderbolt EX II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does the rear TB port on the Cinema Display also work? That would be a plus!

I also have the Asus Z97-A and when installing 10.9.4... it doesn't see the hard drives.
I'm writing now from 10.9.0
I can't understand how 10.9.0 works fine and 10.9.4 can't see the SSDs... :)

I also have the Asus Z97-A and when installing 10.9.4... it doesn't see the hard drives.
I'm writing now from 10.9.0
I can't understand how 10.9.0 works fine and 10.9.4 can't see the SSDs... :)
Did you get your Mavericks installer from the Apple Mac App Store? Did you use UniBeast? Need more information.

The Asus Z97-A is a great MOBO. Only problem is the front audio green port. I'm surprised there is no solution yet. I've been spending many hours looking for a solution. Hopefully it get fixed soon.

Did you get your Mavericks installer from the Apple Mac App Store? Did you use UniBeast? Need more information.

Yes, from App Store, I used the latest version of UniBeast, everything worked perfectly. I booted with UB, used flag -v to see if I get any error, no errors. When trying to use Disk Utilty...it sees only the USB stick...

I managed to solve this problem by copying these Kext files into S\L\E on the UB USB: AHCIPortInjector and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector from 10.9.0. It worked, the HDDs are seen.

The instalation of 10.9.4 goes normal (still using only -v for errors), but after 10.9.4 is installed and the system needs rebooting, I booted from the HDD where it was installed and it stops at "USBMSC Identifier - Still looking for boot device". Cecking System Report, I saw that there is no USB driver (it should be under Thunderbolt). Using MultiBeast, I installed Chimera 3.0.1 and USB 3.0 Universal. The same error

Yes, from App Store, I used the latest version of UniBeast, everything worked perfectly. I booted with UB, used flag -v to see if I get any error, no errors. When trying to use Disk Utilty...it sees only the USB stick...

I managed to solve this problem by copying these Kext files into S\L\E on the UB USB: AHCIPortInjector and IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector from 10.9.0. It worked, the HDDs are seen.

The instalation of 10.9.4 goes normal (still using only -v for errors), but after 10.9.4 is installed and the system needs rebooting, I booted from the HDD where it was installed and it stops at "USBMSC Identifier - Still looking for boot device". Cecking System Report, I saw that there is no USB driver (it should be under Thunderbolt). Using MultiBeast, I installed Chimera 3.0.1 and USB 3.0 Universal. The same error

I've done it! You have no idea how exiting this is! :) After 2 nights and 3 days!
Let me tell you how:
- on one HDD with 2 partitions, I first installed 10.9.0 (which works fine)
- then, on the 2nd partition I installed 10.9.4
- since 10.9.4 doesn't see the HDD when starting the install, I copied AHCIPortInjector from 10.9.0 to 10.9.4 USB drive
- now the HDD and the partitions are seen by 10.9.4
- the install of 10.9.4 works fine, without any flag
- after rebooting, 10.9.4 stops at USBMSC... Still waiting for root device
- seeing this, I copied AHCIPortInjector from 10.9.0 into 10.9.4's S/L/E on the HDD
- started with -v -x, voila...IT Works!!! :)
- started with -v, again, it works!
- installing network drivers from MB... again Still waiting for root device
- started with -v UseKernelCache=No, success!!! It Works!!!
- it seems that every time I start 10.9.4 I have to start with UKC=No, otherwise, it won't work ( :( )

Now, I have no idea why my PC needs this AHCIPortInjector for seeing the HDD!
I also have no idea why AHCIPortInjector is not copied when installing, on the HDD, by the 10.9.4 setup

Hello Tony, guys.

I've built my rig yesterday and i have an ASUS Z97-C motherboard from the buyer's guide.

The rest is:

Define R4 Case

i7-4790k
2x8GB Kingston Hyperx Fury 1886 MHz
Crucial MX100 256Gb

( disconnected ) Segate Barracuda 1TB for Windows.

I've updated the bios, loaded defaults, set the Boot > Secure Mode > Other OS
The AHCI aswell. I have NO other graphics card than the iGPU HD 4600, waiting for the GTX 8xx series.

After boot I do get the loader, type the -v -x, after the typical wall of text the screen goes black, no HDMI signal.

Tried with -v -x DSDT=null the same

Tried with -v -x Maxmem=8192 same, and with DSDT=null same
Tried with -v -x
GraphicsEnabler=Yes IGPEnabler=Yes still no luck

In my opinion it's the HD 4600 not recieving singnal after the verbose ends.

I cannot even get to install the OS, please help me :/

Using the latest Unibeast with Mavericks 10.9.4 app store download.

EDIT: OK The IGPEnabler=No did the trick, will report if some more issues will occur.

EDIT2: It worked once, I got to install the osx but the install failed for unknow reason and it told me to reboot, no I cannot get back to installer anymore, smae thing, screen goes black-signal lost...

Help

You should use the default GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes. Don't use the VGA motherboard connector as Apple's OS X hasn't supported VGA since the early years of OS X. Since, you, too, are an "early adapter", my Early Adapter Guide, which tonymacx86 references in the original post in this thread, might give you some insight although it's for a GA H/Z97N series motherboard.

Does anyone know if other ASUS Z97 boards would have in their BIOS the "CFG lock Disabled/Enabled switch" Tony mentioned? The board I'm mostly interested in is the Z97-Pro.

For those of you with any ASUS Z97 board, is this option present in the BIOS?

Thanks!

Does anyone know if other ASUS Z97 boards would have in their BIOS the "CFG lock Disabled/Enabled switch" Tony mentioned? The board I'm mostly interested in is the Z97-Pro.

For those of you with any ASUS Z97 board, is this option present in the BIOS?

Thanks!

I can confirm that the Asus Z97-Pro board does have the CFG-lock option, that it is disabled by default, and that the MB works with the ThunderboltEX II card. I have checked with the Apple ethernet adapter and the Apple Thunderbolt Display. More details at >http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...ess-asus-z97-pro-i7-4790-intel-hd-4600-a.html< --- so-far, I have only been able to make the display work with the card connected externally to the MB's DisplayPort, I have not been able to daisy-chain Thunderbolt Displays, and there are a few other niggles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back