Contribute
Register

tonymacx86 Build - GA-P55M-UD2 - Core i5-750 - 9400 GT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: tonymacx86 UD2 Build

tonymacx86 said:
Tried the Bluetooth Firmware Updater on my PowerBook- it doesn't work for Jabra adapters. I guess the firmware is for D-link only?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that it only works for the DBT-120, and then only with revisions B2-B4. The newer dongles are revision C I believe.

I am going to see if I can flash the firmware on the DBT-120 with a buddy's old iBook tomorrow.

Bruno

The D-Link DBT-120, version B2-B4 is pretty much the only adapter that ever was officially supported by Apple. However, I have yet to try usb BT adapter that doesn't work natively with simple syncing and pairing stuff (anything within the OS). The problem people have is when they want wake from sleep via bluetooth device, and this HID functionality within the BIOS/DOS with the DBT-120 is a nice touch.

Nevertheless there are a several confirmed devices that allow wake from sleep by BT, just gotta find someone that has one working, and get the same model =P

Hey Tonymac
I want to know that is the snow leopard just a upgrade or a full install i can use?
Cheers
xboxfox

Xboxfox said:
Hey Tonymac
I want to know that is the snow leopard just a upgrade or a full install i can use?
Cheers
xboxfox

The 'Upgrade' version is $29, but is the exact same as the full retail version. The one I linked will install the full version of Snow Leopard.

Hi Tony,
I was wondering if your UD2 build has any problems with audio after 10.6.3? I was thinking about a build similar to yours, but using the UD4 instead cause some users have mentioned that the audio works better? Thanks!

jontsang said:
Hi Tony,
I was wondering if your UD2 build has any problems with audio after 10.6.3? I was thinking about a build similar to yours, but using the UD4 instead cause some users have mentioned that the audio works better? Thanks!

There are no issues per se- but as of 10.6.3, for ALC 888b audio, you have to roll back to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in order to make DSDT + LegacyHDA method work.

The other option is to use VoodooHDA.kext, and you can keep the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext.

This is all if you plan to use onboard audio- any USB audio solution is independent of any issues. ;)

I'd still recommend the UD2- although the UD4 has ALC 889a audio, which real Macs use. Not a huge difference between the UD2 and UD4 otherwise.

If you use a solution such as usb or firewire audio, would there be any benefit (ie quicker boot times) to disabling motherboard audio completely? If so, how would that be done?

auntyjamima said:
If you use a solution such as usb or firewire audio, would there be any benefit (ie quicker boot times) to disabling motherboard audio completely? If so, how would that be done?

Basically, you'd just not install any kexts to enable onboard audio. If you run GigaBeast, you'd go into Extra/Extensions afterward and remove LegacyHDA, then run MultiBeast disk utilities again.

For years on my old rig I didn't even bother with onboard audio- as my USB Ozone has superior sounding and crystal clear audio outputs. All I had to do was install the official driver from the M-Audio site- much easier than messing around with onboard audio that is kind of throwaway quality anyway. There are many firewire panels, and usb dongles for audio that are far better sounding than ALC 8xx.

And even better- if they're Mac supported, you'll know that they have drivers on their website for the hardware. No fuss. ;)

tonymacx86 said:
jontsang said:
Hi Tony,

There are no issues per se- but as of 10.6.3, for ALC 888b audio, you have to roll back to the 10.6.2 AppleHDA.kext in order to make DSDT + LegacyHDA method work.

The other option is to use VoodooHDA.kext, and you can keep the 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext.

This is all if you plan to use onboard audio- any USB audio solution is independent of any issues. ;)

I'd still recommend the UD2- although the UD4 has ALC 889a audio, which real Macs use. Not a huge difference between the UD2 and UD4 otherwise.

Tony, I have all of your same components. Can you let us know exactly what issues you ran into for your setup and what steps you took to resolve them? I think it'd help the forum a lot since a lot of us built our systems off your info! :) You could probably even make it a post on your blog....

The most recent post in his blog about 10.6.3/10.6.4 covers any of the issues you'll see with that combination of hardware and OS version. Works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back