Contribute
Register

tonymacx86 Build - GA-H55N-USB3 - Core i3-530 (Mini-ITX)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a cool build. I want to maybe build a hackintosh as a gift to a friend, and something likes this seems like a good option. She isn't into heavy gaming, etc. Just needs a stable mac to run basic programs, and maybe some stats number crunching. The main issue is: where to find these parts now!?

...She ... Just needs a stable mac to run basic programs, and maybe some stats number crunching...

Buy her a new iMac. Let's face it, a hackintosh is not exactly stable. It requires knowledge to fix all types of issues. While, it's not impossible, she will very quickly tire of calling you every time there's a hick-up. I've been in the same situation as you, and it became obvious that they didn't want to get into the debug for software installation and OS X updates.

Buy her a new iMac. Let's face it, a hackintosh is not exactly stable. It requires knowledge to fix all types of issues. While, it's not impossible, she will very quickly tire of calling you every time there's a hick-up. I've been in the same situation as you, and it became obvious that they didn't want to get into the debug for software installation and OS X updates.

That seems rational. I just found out too that she needs a laptop more than anything. I'm wondering whether a dual boot hp probook might not be the ticket. I think she prefers os x. But, as you say, the patience and know-how to deal with updates, etc, can be problematic. Or she could just never update osx :-/

...I just found out too that she needs a laptop more than anything. I'm wondering whether a dual boot hp probook might not be the ticket. I think she prefers os x. But, as you say, the patience and know-how to deal with updates, etc, can be problematic. Or she could just never update osx :-/

Trust me, she will love a MacBook Pro with BootCamp (running Windows) than a ProBook. You will love it, too, because she won't be yelling at you and throwing you out the door. In your case, getting her a MacBook Pro will be up there almost as good as engagement ring. :thumbup: It has a very high WAF (Women/Wife Acceptance Factor)! :lol: :clap: A high WAF should be your #1 goal in life because life becomes sooooo much nicer.

Trust me, she will love a MacBook Pro with BootCamp (running Windows) than a ProBook. You will love it, too, because she won't be yelling at you and throwing you out the door. In your case, getting her a MacBook Pro will be up there almost as good as engagement ring. :thumbup: It has a very high WAF (Women/Wife Acceptance Factor)! :lol: :clap: A high WAF should be your #1 goal in life because life becomes sooooo much nicer.

Touche... touche.... :D

I need help with this build Tony,it will not work on 10.8 at all. First of all any graphics card I use to boot with unibeast causes a hang, no matter what flags I use. I can get it to the installation with a nvidia 6600 and the install is fine and completes. Then I swap out the card for a gt 640 ( it's the only other card that doesn't cause a black screen error when I use it. It boots up normally and I run multibeast and select all the options recommended for it, Realtek, dsdt, alc889, achi 3rd party, usb3 nec, and it boots fine from the hard drive. The problem I have is that it crashes ALL the time. Randomly restarts itself,won't install iLife without rebooting or freezing. I don't know what to do with it. I've spent every day of the past two weeks trying to get it to work without any success. Can you please help me with what to do as far as getting it to work or maybe even recommending a card that will work with 10.8 without booting to a black screen or causing the system to lock up every five minutes like this one does? Thanks for your time.

This doesnt seem to be working for me.
Im following the lifehacker guide but when it comes to installing the 10.6.8 combo update it doesn't let me and I get the message "The Installation Failed" with a big yellow exclamation.

Im currently on 10.6.3 fresh retail install. Ive tried all the other combo updates also.

Anyone know why?
Should i be using a different guide? Please link me to better guides if possible!
Many Thanks! :)

I cannot get the audio to work in 10.7.5. The audio did once work, but it just suddenly stopped working one day. I am able to reboot into windows and the audio works fine, so I know it is not a hardware issue. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back