Contribute
Register

To Hackintosh Professionally or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

First time posting here after stalking for awhile. I've hunted around the forums a bit, but haven't found the exact answer to my question so I figured I'd post here to get some different opinions.

I'm a full time retoucher and Digitech (Adobe Photoshop CC, Capture One 9, Lightroom CC, Phocus 3.0, etc.) who works regularly on fairly large and complicated layered files. Recently, I've been getting more and more requests to start color grading video as the process is relatively similar to retouching.

My current machine is a 27 inch late 2012 iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM DDR3, 1TB SSD, NVIDA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB. Works fine for pretty much all my retouching and teching needs, but when it comes to running something like DaVinci Resolve or similar, it's very unstable.

I'm fairly tech savvy and reading through this forum/watching videos I'm fairly confident in my ability to put together some kind of a workable hackintosh.

My real question is: is something I'm going to build that will rival the current maxed out MacPro going to be stable enough to be a work computer that I can bring onto photo sets without worrying that it's going to "blow up" in my face so to speak? Under other circumstances I would just build a PC, but being in NYC and in the photo industry, everybody is pretty married to Apple. Any opinions and thoughts would be much appreciated before I dive into this endeavor.

My real question is: is something I'm going to build that will rival the current maxed out MacPro going to be stable enough to be a work computer that I can bring onto photo sets without worrying that it's going to "blow up" in my face so to speak? Under other circumstances I would just build a PC, but being in NYC and in the photo industry, everybody is pretty married to Apple. Any opinions and thoughts would be much appreciated before I dive into this endeavor.

Suggest you use the apps you want to use as keywords in the forum search box and look at any result that is located in the Photography forum - http://www.tonymacx86.com/forums/photography.22/ . The builds in the profiles/sigs of the posters who do this work professionally with their PC-Macs will give you a lead on the hardware you need and also the problems they had getting them up and running.

Hello!

First time posting here after stalking for awhile. I've hunted around the forums a bit, but haven't found the exact answer to my question so I figured I'd post here to get some different opinions.

I'm a full time retoucher and Digitech (Adobe Photoshop CC, Capture One 9, Lightroom CC, Phocus 3.0, etc.) who works regularly on fairly large and complicated layered files. Recently, I've been getting more and more requests to start color grading video as the process is relatively similar to retouching.

My current machine is a 27 inch late 2012 iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM DDR3, 1TB SSD, NVIDA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048MB. Works fine for pretty much all my retouching and teching needs, but when it comes to running something like DaVinci Resolve or similar, it's very unstable.

I'm fairly tech savvy and reading through this forum/watching videos I'm fairly confident in my ability to put together some kind of a workable hackintosh.

I will say after building my first, it is a kick a$$ machine, faster than any Mac I've ever worked on. The downside would be, how much time to you want to spend keeping it functional. It's called a "hackintosh" for a reason, Apple does not make it's OS to run on non-Apple preferential hardware, so you'd be doing your day job on a not always stable system. Though if you built it like mine and store your files (non system/application/OS) and a separate drive and have an alternative laptop/or workstation you'd be safe.

Given I just got mine up and running and loving the speeds for Photoshop and Premier, I may change my mind after a while : ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back