Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. iMac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Aloha, folks,

I've just got a fancy mini tower (Zoostorm Quest) for some casual gaming. Wonder if it’s capable of running Sierra, though, as my primary Mac starts to show its age. The config’s as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 @ 3.6 GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2V
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
RAM: 8 GB DDR5

The rest is quite generic.

Any ideas on whether it’s worth the while (and ditching my baseline 2012 MB Air along the way) ?

P.S. I’m totally new to Hackintosh, so would be really glad if you could go into some detail :)

Last edited:
Aloha, folks,

I've just got a fancy mini tower (Zoostorm Quest) for some casual gaming. Wonder if it’s capable of running Sierra, though, as my primary Mac starts to show its age. The config’s as follows:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170 @ 3.6 GHz
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-H81M-S2V
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
RAM: 8 GB DDR5

The rest is quite generic.

Any ideas on whether it’s worth the while (and ditching my baseline 2012 MB Air along the way) ?

P.S. I’m totally new to Hackintosh, so would be really glad if you could go into some detail :)
Yes, your PC configuration is compatible and you´re able to run mac OS Sierra on it.
Follow the Unibeast guide to create a bootalbe USB drive: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.200564/

You should get the GTX 960 working with the latest Nvidia Web Drivers: https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/

Look for the compatibility of ethernet and WIFI of your mainboard.

The audio chipset is Realtek ALC 887, you can install the necessary drivers with Multibeast.
See here: http://www.multibeast.com/ or here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/tonymacx86-downloads.3/

Thanks! May I just ask if it’s possible to preserve the existing Windows 10 installation, and whether an 8 GB pen drive will suffice?

Thanks! May I just ask if it’s possible to preserve the existing Windows 10 installation, and whether an 8 GB pen drive will suffice?
Windows 10 must be installed in UEFI mode and the EFI partition ( boot partition ) must be at least 250 MB.

Hey, folks, I somehow can’t make the graphics card work properly. The web drivers suggested above don't seem to do the trick, as the card is still recognised as a 7 MB NVIDIA chip, with some apparent distortion kicking in from time to time. Any ideas?

P.S. Would also appreciate it if anyone told me whether or not a WD Blue 500 GB SSD (based on Marvell 88SS1074) would do fine on Sierra.

Last edited:
Hey, folks, I somehow can’t make the graphics card work properly. The web drivers mentioned above didn’t do the trick, so the card is still recognised as a 7 MB NVIDIA chip. Any suggestions?

7MB VRAM usually means that Inject Nvidia is disabled correctly, but the Nvidia Webdrivers are not installed or not activated.

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
May need to update Clover
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Config.plist - Enable SIP fully - CsrActive 0x67
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions

Now, that was quick, mate ;) Will let you know when I’ve tried those out. Many thanks in advance, any road!

7MB VRAM usually means that Inject Nvidia is disabled correctly, but the Nvidia Webdrivers are not installed or not activated.

Installation procedure :
BIOS - Disable Integrated graphics - Set PEG as Primary
Use a digital connection - DVI or HDMI - VGA is not supported.
Boot with nv_disable=1
May need to update Clover
Install web drivers
Config.plist - Do not inject Intel or Nvidia graphics and no ig-platform-id
Config.plist - Enable SIP fully - CsrActive 0x67
Edit config.plist - NvidiaWeb = true as per Link
May need to emulate NVRAM - Problem 6
Remove nv_disable=1 from config.plist
May need to install Lilu.kext and NvidiaGraphicsFixup.kext to /Library/Extensions

Hey, it’s done! The machine is now up and running, the graphics card detected and fully operational. What I did was pretty straightforward: checked the ‘use nVidia Web drivers’ in one of MultiBeast’s panes and, subsequently, installed the drivers using the link you'd provided. Turned out NVRAM emulation was not required; the system remembered the driver choice automatically. As for the other steps listed, I haven’t had to follow any of them so far. Should I, though?

P.S. Struggling with my PCI wireless at the minute. Looks like it’s a Ralink, although that hasn’t been much of help so far. Do you happen to know how to get it working? Again, many thanks in advance!

As for the other steps listed, I haven’t had to follow any of them so far. Should I, though?
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Looks like it’s a Ralink, although that hasn’t been much of help so far. Do you happen to know how to get it working?
No.

OK, so just one more thing (c) ;) I’ve got a MacBook for the primary computer. Would it do if I made a Time Machine backup and then restored it onto the new PC? Wouldn’t that mess up the drivers and hacks installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back