Contribute
Register

tjodolv's Hack Pro mATX: Core i5 3570 / GA-Z77MX-D3H TH / 16GB RAM / GTX 660Ti

Status
Not open for further replies.
You and Jabbawok say you are using hacks/extra hardware to get audio working, does audio not function out of box?
Our motherboard uses a VIA soundchip/codec which is not supported. The VoodooHDA.kext apparently works with that chip/codec but, as far as I am aware, it still causes kernel panic with our motherboard. It sounds as though Jabbawok modded the original vanilla HDA kext and additionally used a DSDT. I don't have a DSDT, I think I have only two non-vanilla kexts installed - FakeSMC.kext and HWinfo.kext - which I extracted from Multibeast using Pacafist and installed them via terminal. It would be good to have sound working off the board but I am happy with my USB soundcard. At some point I would like to upgrade to something better for sound. I used Clover as the bootlaoder because I was curious to try it out, having previously used the boot files from Chameleon and Multibeast on my laptops. I installed Clover manually to my EFI partition, it took a while to figure out and to make a config.plist. If you are new to this or like ease, I would go the Multibeast or Chameleon installer route for ease/peace of mind. I appreciate that there are the motherboards on Tonymac's build list that would be more straightfoward/vanilla, with sound at least, but I was particularly keen to have Thunderbolt in case it because viably useable, re the present cost of Thunderbolt peripherals, at a later date. I needed a MATX sized board for a case I was making, a board that reviewed particularly well in comparative benchmarks, which the GA-Z77MX-D3H-TH did.

For WIFI I am using an old Realtek USB dongle. I need to figure out a way to make an applescript to make the Wireless Network Utility app invisible and a background process. At the moment it requires a single mouse click once booted to desktop, though that isn't necessary when woken from sleep.

You and Jabbawok say you are using hacks/extra hardware to get audio working, does audio not function out of box?
Unfortunately the audio requires a hacked KExt or VOODOOhda to work.

Anyone got audio working on both HDMI (GTX 660 Ti) and motherboard ? If I use VoodooHDA I can use Pink, Green, etc... but not HDMI. And if I disable it I can use HDMI only but I have no mic input which is kind of lame.

On Windows, everything works well though.

^ I have downloaded the Bits zip folder that Jabbawok supplied..

What is the easiest way to install AppleHDA.kext VIA2021.kext and the dsdt?

I have experience installing a dsdt when using the HD4000 with the Z77N-Wifi, but that was in conjunction with Multibeast and selecting the Realtek option.

Since I wanted to play it safe (My mobo is rev 1.1 and I haven't heard of anybody else using it yet), I did not install any audio driver as of yet.

I'm using a Universal Audio Apollo interface for audio ATM, but would like to install a GTX 570 and get audio out of the DisplayPort and HDMI port if possible.

So far I'm pleasantly surprised with the build, and have been able to use a Thunderbolt port with a late-'09 iMac in Target display mode; only thing is no audio.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just got back from a friends house which had an Apple ThunderBolt display...

Everything worked including sound; to make sure I tested with iTunes and even played a few Pro Tools sessions no problem.

Thing of interest: only the bottom Thunderbolt port worked with the Apple TB monitor, while just the higher port worked with the '09 iMac when used as an external monitor - in Target Display Mode...

Look forward to installing a few more apps (Studio One, Photoshop & Premiere) before installing the video card.

Overall very happy! ..but I hope I can get sound out of the GTX 570's HDMI and Display Port with minimal difficulty...

Just got back from a friends house which had an Apple ThunderBolt display...Thing of interest: only the bottom Thunderbolt port worked with the Apple TB monitor, while just the higher port worked with the '09 iMac when used as an external monitor - in Target Display Mode...
Top & bottom port references are confusing. Please confirm the following Thunderbolt port labels:
MDP1 = Bottom Thunderbolt Port
MDP2 = Top Thunderbolt Port​
per page 7 of the Z77MX-D3H TH manual.

Just got back from a friends house which had an Apple ThunderBolt display...

Everything worked including sound; to make sure I tested with iTunes and even played a few Pro Tools sessions no problem.

Thing of interest: only the bottom Thunderbolt port worked with the Apple TB monitor, while just the higher port worked with the '09 iMac when used as an external monitor - in Target Display Mode...

Look forward to installing a few more apps (Studio One, Photoshop & Premiere) before installing the video card.

Overall very happy! ..but I hope I can get sound out of the GTX 570's HDMI and Display Port with minimal difficulty...

Just my two cents, after using this GA mobo and a TBdisplay for 9 months on my hackintosh.
If you switch off the PSU, and start the machine again both thunderbolt ports will work with the Apple TB Display.
TB devices "chain" probably can be mislead by thunderbold ports on a non mac machine http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4579?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Top & bottom port references are confusing. Please confirm the following Thunderbolt port labels:
MDP1 = Bottom Thunderbolt Port
MDP2 = Top Thunderbolt Port​
per page 7 of the Z77MX-D3H TH manual.

Yes that is correct.

@nfilg thanks.. I will try that soon to see how it goes!

So to get HDMI audio working with a graphics card (GTX 570), is it as easy as placing the AppleHDA.kext and VIA2021.kext (which were uploaded by Jabbawok) in the 'System' > 'Library' > 'Extensions' folder?

Also, to install the dsdt (which was included with Jabbawok's .kext files)... do I just simply place it in the 'Extra' folder, or do I have to keep it on the desktop and run Multibeast while selecting the 'With DSDT' option for VoodooHDA?

I've had previous experience with enabling the HD4000's HDMI audio via dsdt with Z77N-WiFi motherboards ... but it was very straightforward with no .kext additions required...

I thank the more-seasoned Hackintoshers for their patience thus far, and look forward to more advice and thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back