Contribute
Register

Tips on chain-loading any of the MacOS bootloaders via GRUB2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Samsung Chronos 7
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Try as I might, I can't get any of the boot-loaders to recognize the MacOS partition that I finally managed to create on the second drive in my PC. I've tried booting them all from either USB or CD (iBoot, rBoot, Chameleon, Unibeast, and I think some others).

GRUB2 (which is the main bootloader I use on my machine), *sees* the MacOS partition and puts an entry in the menu, but it fails. I read a blog post where a guy said he had success with slurping the Chameleon boot sector off of the USB and to a file with "dd if=/dev/usb-device-name of=boot0 bs=466 count=1". I didn't have Chameleon handy, but I tried it with Unibeast. I got the file, but I couldn't get it to boot. What the dude said he did was to put it in one of the filesystems on the drive (I stuck it in the EFI partition on the same drive as the MacOS install) and then he pointed his chainloader directive to it in the GRUB configuration file. But that didn't work for me. I even tried a few different ways, including using dd to copy the boot record to the MBR on the hard drive with MacOS on it (and yeah, I told the BIOS to boot the 2nd hard drive, first). But nothing worked.

Anyway, knowing that there are a thousand ways to get this wrong, I figured I'd ask if anyone has had success with using any of the bootloaders as chainloaded files from GRUB, or maybe getting the EFI to boot them. Are there any of the bootloaders which *should* work better than others?

This is what I use:

set root=(hd1,2)
multiboot /boot

Try it at the grub prompt, then add it to 40_custom for permanent use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back