EVGA 750ti FTW
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some tips on setting up a hackintosh build to dual boot Yosemite and Windows 7 on the following components:

• MB: Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI
  • CPU: i3 4370 HD4600
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB
  • Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD (for both OS's)
  • WD Blue 1TB HDD (storage for files from both OS's)
  • PSU: Corsair CS450M
  • Broadcom BCM94360CD Mini-PCI setup
  • Cooler Master Elite 130 Case

My areas of uncertainty are as follows:
  • Should I install using Clover or Uni/Multi/Chameleon? I've been flip flopping on this for a while, and the answer may be influenced by the other items below.
  • I plan to format the HDD as NTFS and use Paragon to keep all files shared, any objections to this?
  • Am I likely to have problems getting the Broadcom card to work with Windows?
  • Should I install UEFI or legacy BIOS?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

My areas of uncertainty are as follows:
  • Should I install using Clover or Uni/Multi/Chameleon? I've been flip flopping on this for a while, and the answer may be influenced by the other items below.
  • I plan to format the HDD as NTFS and use Paragon to keep all files shared, any objections to this?
  • Am I likely to have problems getting the Broadcom card to work with Windows?
  • Should I install UEFI or legacy BIOS?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Recommend separate SSD - one for each OS. While you can install both on the same drive, it is a :banghead: to keep them updated.
Also, it is more difficult to install on the same drive if installing UEFI.

You have 2 easy options:
1. Install Legacy mode both OS's and use Chimera for your boot loader on separate drives. Note you cannot use Chimera if you install Windows UEFI.
2. Install UEFI mode both OS's and use Clover for your boot loader on separate drives.

Harder options:
If you must install on same drive then Chimera/Legacy mode is easiest.
If you just have to have UEFI on same drive, see nguyenmac's guide in the laptop forum.

Recommend separate SSD - one for each OS. While you can install both on the same drive, it is a :banghead: to keep them updated.
Also, it is more difficult to install on the same drive if installing UEFI.

I'm pretty set on having them on one SSD if I can manage it, because the only parts I bought new are the MB, CPU, and Broadcom card and I'm trying not to spend any more $$ on converting to an OS X dual boot system.

I'm not, however, set on installing UEFI, so I'm leaning toward the Chimera/legacy route.

That said, what do you mean by it being a pain to keep them updated? I plan on holding out with Windows 7 as I'm not a Windows 10 fan, and I'd like to upgrade to El Capitan once it's been out for a while. Will this present any problems?

Thanks for the help!

I'm pretty set on having them on one SSD if I can manage it, because the only parts I bought new are the MB, CPU, and Broadcom card and I'm trying not to spend any more $$ on converting to an OS X dual boot system.

I'm not, however, set on installing UEFI, so I'm leaning toward the Chimera/legacy route.

That said, what do you mean by it being a pain to keep them updated? I plan on holding out with Windows 7 as I'm not a Windows 10 fan, and I'd like to upgrade to El Capitan once it's been out for a while. Will this present any problems?

Thanks for the help!

Win 7 and Yosemite on a single SSD is fairly straight forward so long as you take your time and dont make mistakes. Ive done it here many times.

Thanks for the help!

See second part of http://www.tonymacx86.com/multi-booting/96000-guide-dual-booting-mountain-lion-windows-8-a.html

Win Vista/7/8/8.1/10 all work the same and OS X 10.7/.8/.9/.10 all work same
Just make sure you select the non-UEFI boot device for the Win7 install so it installs Legacy mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back