Contribute
Register

Tips for installing Sierra on Lenovo M93P tiny (i7)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Lenovo M93p Tiny
CPU
i7-4765T
Graphics
HD 4600
Hey all

I haven't had my previous hackintosh working for a while, and also contended with a dead macbook recently so had the hell of only using windows while I got the GPU replaced on that.

Anyway, picked up a bargain Lenovo M93P Thinkcenter Tiny with an i7 in it last week and it's an awesome little beastie, but want to install Sierra on it, and am starting off just trying with Unibeast 7.1.1. install.

Machine is:
i7 4765T @ 2Ghz
Intel® HD Graphics 4600
2gb DDR3 (ordering more for it!)
128gb crucial SSD

The install manages to get about 30% through and seems to hang.
I’ve done basic bios settings like optimized and changing the video memory etc as per the installation guide.

I've found a couple of discussions around other Thinkcenter variants on here but not seen any builds on the same model, so I'm not sure if the setup for builds that people have used on their thinkcenters would necessarily work with mine?

If anyone has pointers on the right sort of settings I should most likely use to get the install up and running or to see where/why it's falling over I'd be grateful of course.

*edit* have found this one for m93p with high Sierra but it’s not the tiny version of the Lenovo so I think they’re actually quite different machines really, but am trying it anyway in case it’s still suitable somehow...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/high-sierra-on-m93p.246622/

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks very much for the reply :)

I have managed to install the OS, but I cannot get Multibeast to work at all to get the audio and ethernet kexts to work. It just says it has failed every time, even though I have tried the correct (and then other) versions of multibeast. I have not found this problem with previous installs that I did for other machines.

The other issue I had was that it will only boot to the desktop if I set certain clover configs when booting, but I think I need to maybe just change things in plist file to make those permanent?

Thanks very much for the files you linked to though, I will check those out tonight when I get home. Very much appreciated :)

Well here is the happier update that I have succeeded in making it work better with Mojave now.
I did a fresh install with Mojave built as UEFI with Unibeast, then I'm not sure if the ethernet worked straight away or after I meddled with it because I had a faulty ethernet cable which fooled me for a while.

I used a patched AppleHDA file (patched with ALC283) that I downloaded from another site, and certainly the audio works through the headphone jack now although I haven't tested it from the other outputs yet.

My machine has no HDMI output, only VGA and 2x displayport outputs. The VGA works great, but I got a displayport to HDMI adaptor but sadly seem to get no signal from that. I would LOVE to get this machine able to work with HDMI so I can use it as a compact machine to use on my new TV which only really has HDMI.

Also, sleep does not work, and wifi does not work but I understand the intel wifi cards (mini pcie) do not work in hackintoshes, but I have left it in the machine so that the bluetooth works for my apple trackpad & keyboard.

I don't know why but I could not use your plist file on my build, it would not load the OS.

I understand that the Azurewave or Broadcom BCM94352HMB card is one that can be made to work so I will hopefully get one of those.
I've ordered an active displayport>hdmi converter since they're very cheap so hopefully that will solve the video output issue that I have.

So still on my list to do are the following if anyone has info on achieving these bits:

1) Make it boot straight up directly instead of stopping at the clover screen with the different APFS options that show there. OR make it so my Apple wireless trackpad/Keyboard work at that screen somehow (they currently don't work until I get to the password screen when booting, which means I have to have a second mouse to get past the clover screen!)

2) Get video output working into an HDMI monitor/screen. There is a proper Lenovo header/HDMI port/cable part for this model (03T7215) but I think the odds of getting one are slim sadly. So I am trying an active DisplayPort to HDMI converter instead.

3) Get Sleep working somehow. I read one account of someone who got their hibernation working by removing the Intel wifi card but of course if I do that then I have no bluetooth for the apple trackpad/keyboard, so would have to try and make a USB bluetooth dongle to work with it.

Thinks that's it. Great little machine so would be awesome if I can iron out these little issues.

Thanks for that, I will have a look through it and see if I can understand it.
I have finally got DisplayPort working on mine with an HDMI converter and now can view on my new 4k tv but it's very low resolution, only 1280x1024, so I have to try and see why this is so bad.

A graphics issue I think because scrolling browser pages is also not smooth and sometimes things do not properly display in both chrome or safari, especially on buttons and at the top where the browser tabs are.

Here are screenshots for what it thinks my graphics settings.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.11.55.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.11.55.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 572
  • Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.12.33.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-12 at 10.12.33.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 580
Update, I got this working to at least be 1920x1080 now anyway.
In Clover Configurator I mounted the EFI and in the devices and graphics screens I set them as per these screenshots.
All is a hundred times better now but it would be really nice if I was able to get the full resolution that this GPU/screen can provide.
I did go back in after into the GUI screen in clover configurator and set the screen resolution to 2560x1600 and I think it made a slight difference as I had to rescale the screen a bit more after rebooting, but that is the highest resolution I can choose in CC except for 2560x2048 which would probably look weird I guess. Can try it though.
But yeah, there are no higher options for 4k sadly. Not sure why?

Update, I got this woope rking to at least be 1920x1080 now anyway.
In Clover Configurator I mounted the EFI and in the devices and graphics screens I set them as per these screenshots.
All is a hundred times better now but it would be really nice if I was able to get the full resolution that this GPU/screen can provide.
I did go back in after into the GUI screen in clover configurator and set the screen resolution to 2560x1600 and I think it made a slight difference as I had to rescale the screen a bit more after rebooting, but that is the highest resolution I can choose in CC except for 2560x2048 which would probably look weird I guess. Can try it though.
But yeah, there are no higher options for 4k sadly. Not sure why?

Hi Cretster,

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone (or you won't be, shortly!). After quite a while away from the Hackintoshing scene, I've just decided to sneak a mini-PC onto my desktop to run Mojave. Picked up an M93p Tiny with the i7-4765T and 8GB RAM, and a 128Gb SDD on eBay today - should be with me within the week. And then the fun will begin.

Just checking where you've got to - does audio work over the DisplayPort, for example? And the maximum res you've managed with DP is 2560x1600, correct? Have you tried playing around with the RAM allocation to the iGFX in the BIOS to see if that makes a difference?

Looking forward to walking in your steps to get my own M93p up and running - looks a cracking spec for the size and money...

Kind regards

Discy

So my M93p turned up last week and I spent some time playing around with it yesterday. I couldn't get Unibeast to install at all, I'm afraid - so I did a manual USB creation and then installed Clover manually too.

@feelinglucky I grabbed your EFI folder and copied all of it, including the config.plist, across to my USB installer and the system got through install okay. Graphics and sound appear to work - sound even through the HDMI socket, too, which is great because this machine will be sharing a monitor and I want it to transfer sound through to the speakers, regardless of which PC I'm using.

I'm a little concerned about using your system definition with my setup, though, @feelinglucky - not least because you have a different CPU from mine. Mine is the i7-4765T. I'm presuming I could trip up badly if I use your DSDT.aml and ACPI folder, right?

Regards to all,

Discy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back