i7-7500U
Graphics
HD 620, 1920*1080
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Although the target of this post is mainly aimed to old hardware, I am still happy to provide a tip of solution to address the audio issue on some specific motherboard. Those hardware may be considered obsolete but is still great when running Mac OS X and I expect they are still in use by some people.

Some Customac builders may experience a problem on some Gigabyte Motherboards such as EP43-UD3L, EP43-US3L, and EP43T-UD3L, which features Realtek ALC888 chip. User may discover that the audio won't work no matter which patched AppleHDA.kext ALC888 they chose to install in Multibeast. By running audio_codecdetect.command by toleda from https://github.com/toleda/audio_RealtekALC , the script will report "No audio codec detected. Verify BIOS, hardware, etc." no matter vanilla or patched AppleHDA.kext is installed.

I am stuck in the above situation with my EP43T-UD3L rig until I recently found a perfect solution to fix the situation. Before I applied the perfect solution, I use a "heavily modified" ALC888 AppleHDA.kext from somewhere else forum, which an HDAEnabler.text is embedded inside. Although this kext works with 3.5 jacks, but the Optical Audio Out does not work. Also the Internal Speakers (the rear green jack) cannot be identified, and have to use the black audio jack or the from headphone jack. That kext must be used with Audio Layout 12 but not 1. By using layout 1 no audio device detected, by 12 device detectable but with layout issue. If I wish to use the Optical Audio Out I have to use VoodooHDA.kext but the audio quality is a down side.

After deep investigation, I found the problem is caused by the Azalia branding. In BIOS Setup of the aforesaid motherboards, the audio chip is named Azalia, and in ACPI / ioreg the device is named as AZAL instead of normal HDEF. Vanilla or patched AppleHDA.kext are looking for HDEF device to work and hook on but not AZAL (the exceptional case is the "heavily modified" AppleHDA.kext but as mentioned there's some issue with it), and therefore the audio_codecdetect.command returned "No audio codec detected".

To fix this, use the ssdt_hdef-1-with_ioreg:azal.zip SSDT from https://github.com/toleda/audio_ALCInjection/tree/master/ssdt_hdef . Follow the instructions provided within the zip to install the SSDT, depending whether you are using Clover or Chameleon Bootloader. The SSDT helped by renaming all AZAL to HDEF, making AppleHDA.kext able to work with the device. Lastly, install the ALC888 Legacy kext by Multibeast. Keep the audio layout be 1. Now the ALC888 on those motherboard will work flawlessly, with all ports including the rear green jack and the optical out detectable and usable. By using HDMIAudio.kext the HDMI audio output will also be available.

Besides the aforesaid motherboards and ALC888, the fix may also applicable to any motherboard that have their Realtek audio chip branded to Azalia. I hope the above tip and guild helped.

i'm working on an asus p5kpl-cm motherboard and mananged to install Mojave on my disk. I would like to try to get the onboard Azalia working. i copied de SSDT-HDEF-AZAL-1.aml to the ACPI Patched folder and installed multibeast alc888Legacy from multibeast highsierra. But i don't see the soundcard in sound. I'm using Clover Efi. Do i have to rename the aml or what is the next step. i don't understand what you meant todo.

Solved with voodoo 2.7.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back