Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus P8H67-M
CPU
i3
Graphics
GT 640
I've moved my osx to another drive. I updated it to El Capitan, and made all the tweaks it needed to make it work. My old drive name was "OSX", the new one is called "OSX-2".

My plan was that after having my osx-2 installation stable, to rename OSX-2 to OSX and then activate again TimeMachine so it thinks that nothing happened -except that the drive got updated. So I could keep my TimeMachine from the older drive but pointing to the new drive.

Does this make sense? Will it work?

I've moved my osx to another drive. I updated it to El Capitan, and made all the tweaks it needed to make it work. My old drive name was "OSX", the new one is called "OSX-2".

My plan was that after having my osx-2 installation stable, to rename OSX-2 to OSX and then activate again TimeMachine so it thinks that nothing happened -except that the drive got updated. So I could keep my TimeMachine from the older drive but pointing to the new drive.

Does this make sense? Will it work?

If you've used Time Machine to Restore to the new drive then yes.

If you've used Time Machine to Restore to the new drive then yes.

Nope... It's there a way to link my new hard drive to the TimeMachine of the old one withouth loosing all the changes done to make it work...?

Nope... It's there a way to link my new hard drive to the TimeMachine of the old one withouth loosing all the changes done to make it work...?

If I restore from machine back up onto the new drive it will default the new drive without doing anything else to Time Machine. You could use Carbon Clone Copier also.

If I restore from machine back up onto the new drive it will default the new drive without doing anything else to Time Machine. You could use Carbon Clone Copier also.

I don't undestand what you mean.

I did a carbon copy with SuperDuper from OSX->OSX2

What do you mean by "You could use Carbon Clone Copier" ?

I don't undestand what you mean.

I did a carbon copy with SuperDuper from OSX->OSX2

What do you mean by "You could use Carbon Clone Copier" ?

Then you don't need to touch Time Machine itll still back up keeping your old files.

Well I will try this afternoon...

I guess from your words that OSX will "magically" detect that this new drive is the old OS and it will keep it in time machine...

cross my fingers...

Well I will try this afternoon...

I guess from your words that OSX will "magically" detect that this new drive is the old OS and it will keep it in time machine...

cross my fingers...

Should do. But make sure that you keep the Drive name the same as you're old drive. For example you're old drive is called OS X rename the new drive as OS X not OS X 2.

Should do. But make sure that you keep the Drive name the same as you're old drive. For example you're old drive is called OS X rename the new drive as OS X not OS X 2.

yes, that was my plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back