i5-9600K
Graphics
Vega 56
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
It has been months since it was found out that Apple has killed Nvidia with Mojave. It was great for the hackintos community to have drivers that sort of officially supported hackintoshing, but that has clearly come to an end.

The hard question? Why are Nvidia cards still on the Buyers Guide? I know there is a disclaimer at the top, one sentence that that doesn't stand out and will be easily missed among all of the exciting images.

Please remove Nvidia from the Buyer's Guide. Time to move on and accept that a good thing has come to an end. You are doing the opposite of helping people by keeping Nvidia on the Buyer's Guide.

The last time I checked the list of people who are requesting Apple to support Nvidia it was around 6K so hardly enough for Apple to notice. Doesn't matter how good the hardware is if it doesn't have drivers.

Nvidia cards still works in older macOS except Mojave. I would suggest the admin to bold the warning in Buyer's Guide for Nvidia video cards to make it more visible.

Yes, new Nvidia cards to work with last years macOS. That's the problem, if you buy a new Nvida card it is for last years OS that will only receive security updates for 2.5 years. Who would buy a graphics card with a. 2.5 year expiration date?

Yes, new Nvidia cards to work with last years macOS. That's the problem, if you buy a new Nvida card it is for last years OS that will only receive security updates for 2.5 years. Who would buy a graphics card with a. 2.5 year expiration date?

Nvidia is still releasing drivers for older macOS so any new Nvidia cards will still work.

The answer is simple: Don't update to Mojave. I couldn't care less whether Apple drops security updates for High Sierra tomorrow. I do care that nVidia hardware and drivers have worked very well for the Hackintoshes I have built, and that High Sierra does everything I want my OS to do.

The answer is simple: Don't update to Mojave. I couldn't care less whether Apple drops security updates for High Sierra tomorrow. I do care that nVidia hardware and drivers have worked very well for the Hackintoshes I have built, and that High Sierra does everything I want my OS to do.

My experience with Nvidia drivers were nowhere near as pleasant. On High Sierra 10.13.0-10.13.3, I (and many others) experienced severe UI lag. There was never any acknowledgement from Nvidia that they were aware of the problem or working on the problem. It was finally resolved about half a year later but, by then, I'd already moved on.

On High Sierra 10.13.0-10.13.3, I (and many others) experienced severe UI lag.
OK, I get that. (Although I have no idea what "UI lag" is.) Luckily I have had no such problems. The graphics performance of my 3 Mini-ITX computers is shown in the attachment below. All on High Sierra 10.13.6, all with the following test conditions: "Ultra" quality, 2xAA anti-aliasing, 1920 x 1080 Full Screen.
Graphics Benchmarks.jpg

OK, I get that. (Although I have no idea what "UI lag" is.) Luckily I have had no such problems. The graphics performance of my 3 Mini-ITX computers is shown in the attachment below. All on High Sierra 10.13.6, all with the following test conditions: "Ultra" quality, 2xAA anti-aliasing, 1920 x 1080 Full Screen.
View attachment 393567

There are dozens more, but you probably get the message... Plus, it didn't just affect hackintoshes, real Macs were affected too.

This was what triggered my complete loss of confidence in Nvidia to write good drivers. As it turned out, it was just a prelude to what has become a full blown fiasco with Mojave.

IIRC I waited until 10.13.4 before updating from Sierra to High Sierra. Don't know if that had anything to do with my systems missing all that fun, but maybe...

My Nvidia 660, natively supported, had screen glitches with High Sierra/Mojave and 960 didn't work with Mojave. That prompted me to drop two Nvidia cards and buy AMD. Nvidia was nothing but problems for me. Next major macOS release is not far away, Nvidia driver is still mediocre and it's been almost a year with no driver for Mojave. What does that says about Nvidia's commitment to their mac customers?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back