Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hi all,

Just finished by first hackintosh build recently, so very new and scared lol.
I've always been using Time Machine to backup once a week. Never really had to use the backup as final resource, but of course having something as a safe door is nice.

So can I use Time Machine on a hackintosh?
I read somewhere that the backup you create with hackintosh should not be used to restore on a real mac?
And probably for another hackintosh it's not much of use either, cause of different configurations and stuff?

I've never use Migration Assistant, always the full restore when I had a new Mac.

Does Migration Assistant work in both mentioned cases above? I'm a software engineer so I mess with quite few things that normal users don't, dot files for example. I don't want to lose those as they took years to refined (yes). If Migration Assistant work does it keep all of my configs also?

I'm having an awesome experience with my hackintosh, thank you all for the helps.

So, no one uses Time Machine?

Yeah I did search, that why I was able to 'read somewhere' as mentioned.
Didn't find my answers, that's why I had a new post.

Thank you though.

I have no problems using Time Machine for it's intended purposes on a Hackintosh, however I've never tried to go Hackintosh TM Backup to Real Mac or vice-versa. I don't expect there's a lot of issues. I mean, the core OS itself is largely unchanged at this point anymore, especially your folders containing your settings.

If you have as much experience with the inner workings of the OS as you say, then what you could always do is selectively restore files/directories from you Time Machine backup, and forgo using Migration Assistant. I've done that with excellent results before numerous times to return very specific items on an otherwise purposefully done clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back