Contribute
Register

Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

Status
Not open for further replies.
So glad I have been using Time Machine on my CustoMac. I had a problem with an update for Lord of the Rings Online and Steam wanted to download all 16GBs of it again, luckily I was able to restore it via Time Machine instead

Oh, I am so happy to see this. I plan to do a migration from my macbook to my new rig

Article: Time Machine Backup and Recovery on a CustoMac

@colinzeal bootloaders are not copied with CCC.

I use TM since the beginning of my hacks (SL), both managing OS + DATAS as it may be relevant to reinstall kexts, prefs plist ...
I also use CCC daily for OS.

I can assure you that CCC copies your boot loader. I've used this method many times. Check your settings.

I too have read it is some times not backing everything up you thing it is. I am still watching mine religiously.

I do want to say I had it running when I went from 10.7.5 to 10.8.0 to 10.8.1 in a day. I have a separate SSD OS X drive from my data and back ups. I think I must have restored five or six times when I got lost or stuck. It only took about six minutes to restore and I was back at it again with a fresh cup of coffee. It worked.

There is the personal information on the DATA drive and it is linked to OS X on the OS drive. What was interesting is each upgrade did not change anything on the DATA drive. This modularity make Time Machine a very effective tool during updates.

Any questions please PM me to get my attention,
Thanks,
==m==

Im useing CCC 3.4.4 last free version and Super duper 2.7.1
My backed up OSX partition is bootable and never need to instal boot louders on any of them Never.
It could be same preferences settings. I dont remember now.

Time Machine is one of the reason I am still on Mac, with a hack. (and not passed to Windows, after I would not take a new imac / mini)
(besides the ease of use, the fast access to all what I need, etc.)

It works perfectly on my hack for the last 6 months. Backing to my Synology NAS, internal drive and external drive (that I take out of home).
Thanks to ML, we can not do the time machine on several drives without having to remove/add the drive at each time.

I'm also cloning my system before doing any update.

2 days ago, I just reinstalled my system, after splitting my homemade FusionDrive.
I was able to retrieve all my data and settings from my latest TimeMachine. It was flowless.

I have TimeMachine setup just in case but I'm still wary of it, too many little issues that scare me even more now that I'm in the hackintosh camp.

I've directed myself toward a RSYNC backup script I made, that allows me to have a clone bootable copy of my system without issues, which is the most important thing if you don't want to have too much downtime (like waiting for TimeMachine to recovering of if it got corrupted).

I honestly wish Apple would make it a .dmg in 10.9 so the TM backups could be easily moved because right now there a pain to recover.

I always had good experiences using TM. Especially for optimizing a customac it's absolutely helpful: Backing up the system, then trying something new in the system, and if it crashes - don't worry, just unibeast, restore the whole system and reinstall the boot loader. And I REALLY needed to do that several times! For me, it's the best choice for backing up since 10.5.

I did not realize I could have done a complete re-install of my setup with my Time Machine backup image wow. I reformatted the whole TM drive when I did the fresh install of the OS. And my setup had been up and running for 7 months with no problems UNTIL I installed the latest Multibeast package and cause me big problems. If I only knew how to use TM two weeks ago. And I use a 1TB hard drive for time machine only. You never know what you will learn in TonyMac rooms

Time Machine has saved my bacon many times!! I tend to play around with things that I shouldn't from time to time, and up having to restore. But also, when your main HDD up and craps out on you (less than a year old), Time Machine truly shined! UniBeast on a USB stick and Time Machine on a second internal drive works great for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back