Contribute
Register

Time for New Speakers - Suggestions or References

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the feedback. I encourage you to keep discussing the merits of your experience with the reference monitor speakers in this thread.

I'm am truly a raw beginner in comparison with all of you. I just use my Hack and MBP with GarageBand to record my practice sessions and use the better ones to play around with adding tracks. I recently retired and now have the time to actually practice with my LP Std and two Rickenbackers (360/6 & 360/12).

However, my current speakers and headphones were originally bought for listening to music, not monitoring the recording. Also, being retired, I'd like not to have to pay $600+ for a set of reference monitor speakers for just my own purposes.

So, I'll probably pickup the M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 powered speakers which seem to be a good bang for the buck. Amazon has them for $120 USD with free shipping vs Sweatwater's $180 USD with free shipping (both within the USA). Since my current "studio" location is in a loft, I'll have to make sure I position them correctly and on separate speaker stands. But, that's part of the learning process.

Make sure as you add to this thread that you indicate your recording experience level, the (approximate) price and product links of your reference monitors. That way myself and others can quickly understand where you're coming from and read the features and specifications. Post any creditable review links, too, if you have them handy.

Dajjal said:

I've got an the original Blue Sky Media Desk system and it's excellent for the money. If you can find a secondhand system it would be worth looking at.

I also have a pair of Genelec 8020's with the 7050 Sub ...... Amazing, not cheap though.

Logitech has some nice 2.1 speakers with good value.

Stepping up, I would recommend BlueSky too. Or, around one grand you could step into Genelecs with two 6010's and a 5040A sub.

salty dog said:
Dajjal said:

I've got an the original Blue Sky Media Desk system and it's excellent for the money. If you can find a secondhand system it would be worth looking at.

+1 on the Bluie Sky MediaDesk 2.1 :headbang: If you look closely at the pics of my studio, you'll see a pair of 1st gen Media Desk's (the set of monitors closest to my cinema display). When I bought them new, I think the system was like $550 or so. REALLY good bang for the buck.

Not knowing what your budget is (but assuming comparable quality from Blue Sky), you may want to take a look at the Blue Sky eXo 2.1 - Guitar Center has the 1st gen in their online catalog. I think they are getting ready to release a 2nd gen of the eXo, too - according to a search for eXo on Sweetwater's site, the 2nd gen setup is a bit more pricey. BUT might also be a big bump in performance/audio quality. Might be worth the wait for those if that is more in line with what you were budgeting.

Regardless, Blue Sky has really made a mark for themselves as having a great quality/small footprint, & affordable system. You'll find these in lots of pro/commercial studios.

Also, ditto on the previous comments regarding the importance of acoustic treatment for your listening/recording room. Unless you've done some acoustical treatments, you should really not go too hog-wild with your reference monitors.

If someday you DO want to think about acoustic treatments for your space, I'm a HUGE fan of Primacoustic room treatments. I use the "Broadway" model panels all over the walls (those are all the black vertical panels throughout my space). I also built a collection of my own bass traps to match.

Wow - don't get me started! LOL :)

My best advice to you? Take the time to go listen - make sure that what you're shopping for sounds good to your ears. Depending on what kind of relationship you have with your local music store, you might be able to take them home to "demo" them in your own space. With Guitar Center, I think they have a pretty standard 30-day return policy. Lots of times, my GC rep just sells me something & says: Try it out in your room. If you don't like it, you can always bring it back.

Hope this helps some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back