1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I need new speakers for my systems that will be good monitor speakers but not sacrifice quality for general music listening . I only record for a hobby, recording by guitar playing in GB for playback as a practice feedback technique. Consequently, I'm look for a 2.1 powered (amplified) set.

I would appreciate any recommendations or links review articles that found to be spot on in their findings. While I, too, know how to Google, I've found that they're a lot of bogus stuff on the net. Thus, I like to pick your brains.

I have a pair of Alesis M1 Active MkII that have served me pretty well using Digital Performer. Subwoofer systems can be nice in a properly treated room. But without an optimal setup they can open up a whole new can of worms when trying to get a mix that translates to other systems. A decent set of near-field monitors can give satisfying results without the pitfall of a subwoofer system.

Thanks. I'll look into Alesis speakers,

I thought I'd add that there are a lot of nice budget friendly options these days for powered monitors. Here is a link to Sweetwater. Highly recommended if you're in the U.S.

http://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors

Although I don't have personal experience with the majority of these, you would probably not go wrong with any of the choices from Yamaha, M-Audio, JBL, Alesis, Mackie, KRK, or Tannoy. All pretty well respected brands.

They will all sound a bit different, but any of those brands should give you a good value for the money. Your price point will be the determining factor on how much speaker you can get.

If you already have a receiver/power amp you need passive speakers, not active.

I hope this is helpful.

i have adam a7's and i love them.

used to own krk vxt8's. i loved them too. but the adams are very clear and translate well onto just about anything.

Adam's have a stellar reputation for sure. But I was hesitant to recommend a nearly $600 [EACH] monitor. I'd love a pair if I could afford them.

One thing about buying expensive reference monitors to remember (such as Adams), unless your listening environment has been treated/tweaked then you probably still aren't going to hear the truth from them.

Thats why I use headphones at home mostly for mixing at least. I do own a pair of old Alesis 'Monitor Twos' but I don't rely on them for mixing truth, I use them as a rough guide for how it will sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back