Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and I already have a hackintosh. What I am going to do is upgrade my desktop and use some of the existing hardware I already have (GPU, RAM, storage, PSU), I already know the CPU I am going to get but I do need some help choosing a motherboard that does support Thunderbolt.

Currently, this is the motherboard I am looking to get, a plus is it supports both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 although I am looking to get a board that is at least Thunderbolt compatible, so if anyone can suggest some that would be much appreciated.

Hi,

I just bought a new MacBook Pro a few weeks ago, and I already have a hackintosh. What I am going to do is upgrade my desktop and use some of the existing hardware I already have (GPU, RAM, storage, PSU), I already know the CPU I am going to get but I do need some help choosing a motherboard that does support Thunderbolt.

Currently, this is the motherboard I am looking to get, a plus is it supports both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 although I am looking to get a board that is at least Thunderbolt compatible, so if anyone can suggest some that would be much appreciated.
The USB3.0 ports on the back panel are dead on the UP4 TH - no driver for the Via VL800 chipset. If USB3.0 is important to you get the UP5 TH

I am pretty glad i read this as I was due to upgrade my x58 ud5 today with the the 77 ud4. th
in the UK the ud5 th is £90 dearer than the ud4 th but if usb support is poor then i will have to slash the extra cash on the ud5 th....
i would have been gutted if i had found this out after purchase are their any major glitches with the 77 ud5 th before I upgrage?
Many thanks in advance.....

As you point out the ud5 without th is quite a lot cheaper at about £150 but if I am building a complete new mobo cpu and memory then it prudent to get the most up to date you can. If thunderbolt was just an add on card then I would buy the older u5d without it. As it stands I may use it in the future...When I purchase my x58 it only had sata 2 but ended up buying a sata3 card later down the line.
Just frustrating that a ud4 would fit the bill except for lack of usb3 support.....

Yeah, it's a real shame that. The extra ports works fine in Windows, but I guess that doesn't help you much...
I think Thunderbolt is pretty much a waste of money though, but that's my personal opinion and I don't know what you're using your system for so...

Now thats a deal thanks for the heads up i will check it out..Although I am also considering my need for TH after reading thelostswede post. If the above deal doesnt come through as thats price perfect.
Over the years I have never used firewire much..
I use my system for home imovies for my web site upto 40 minutes long aperture for family photo editing.

Since I went mac 4-5 years ago I never looked back except for the odd over clock programme on windows ...
Use a bit of linux on my sons system and via parallels on this hack.....
Saved the cash for macbook pro retina but to be honest 2k was to expensive...

Current system sports a g5 case liquid cooled in the living room.

Attachments

• bootit 2.jpg
    bootit 2.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 642
  • bootit 4.jpg
    bootit 4.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 394
Just ordered the cpu motherboard and ram from amazon...Thanks for the heads up... on the ud5 th motherboard it is only £20 dearer than the none th board at that price I should be able to live with it.....loads cheaper than my local scan.co.uk......saved £90 by ordering from amazon!!!!!! substantial difference
Pretty excited now its a while since i treated myself begging to feel like Eugene crab's from spongebob!!!!!!

just might need a new cpu water block as I am not sure if my 1336 fittings match 1155 or an adapter will be needed
3770k ud5 th and 16gb of cosair vengeance CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back