i7-12700k
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I found an article today about adding a TB card to a Mac 5,1 and dual booting windows to get the card on then warm booting into OS and voila TB works. Im not sure if it shows up in System Profiler as thunderbolt active or if it shows up like our hackintoshes (UAD audio device). Performance is the same as if native.

So, I was under the impression that without a TB Header on your motherboard you'd never ever have access to Thunderbolt. Was I wrong?

UPDATE: This is an outdated post.

Article

Last edited:
I have seen similar thing by others and below are the links:

2018-mac-mini-mantiz-venus-wx-9100-egpu-gc-alpine-ridge-thunderbolt-3-monitor-output-powered-on.jpg

Here is my question relating to this Article:
I have checked in the article and cannot find the "Thunderbolt Card Power Cable" and how it was connected to the card?
Please, can anyone shed more light on how the cable was made (if DIY) and powered or where we can buy the cable?

I do have an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display which i am currently trying to setup with GIGABYTE MB
GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
. I was able to connect it to the onboard Thunderbolt of the mb and i able to display properly during the BIOS interface. I am able to boot to windows currectly but when booting to macOS Hackintosh the screen splits into 6 smaller view with a big raster covering almost the entire screen. For a better understanding i have been able to attach screen shots of what this look like below:
Photo 13-04-2019, 00 14 50.jpg
Photo 13-04-2019, 00 14 23.jpg
Photo 13-04-2019, 00 14 00.jpg
Photo 13-04-2019, 00 13 20.jpg
Photo 13-04-2019, 00 11 56.jpg

Please, can anybody help with solving this issue:beachball::rolleyes::cry:????

I found an article today about adding a TB card to a Mac 5,1 and dual booting windows to get the card on then warm booting into OS and voila TB works. Im not sure if it shows up in System Profiler as thunderbolt active or if it shows up like our hackintoshes (UAD audio device). Performance is the same as if native.

So, I was under the impression that without a TB Header on your motherboard you'd never ever have access to Thunderbolt. Was I wrong?

Article
You can buy an spi programmer and flash the add in card with the proper firmware (alpine ride or titan ridge) and it will not require windows initial boot and will show in settings properly and also allow the use of thunderbolt displays target disk mode and thunderbolt bridge. Essentially it'll be 100% functional just like on a real mac.

This goes for any hackintosh even if your board didn't come with a thunderbolt header you just won't have thunderbolt use within any is but mac. Apple initiates thunderbolt hot plugging via ssdt files not via a header that relies on a connection to the gpio device to enumerate hot plugging. Actually all thunderbolt add in cards work on all motherboards regardless of tb header you need the header for hot plugging without one you need to power off the system plug in the tb device and power on and it'll work fine but you can't hot swap devices without the header in windows. As long as you have enough pcie lanes (4) available an add in card will work on any motherboard in windows with the loss of hot plugg and will work fine in any hackintosh with the proper ssdt and with a flashed card will work with all devices in macos (tb devices plus tb devices meant specifically for mac hardware like apple thunderbolt display)

Last edited:
You can buy an spi programmer and flash the add in card with the proper firmware (alpine ride or titan ridge) and it will not require windows initial boot and will show in settings properly and also allow the use of thunderbolt displays target disk mode and thunderbolt bridge. Essentially it'll be 100% functional just like on a real mac.
Ha! That comment was from 2 years ago. Many cards have been flashed since :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back