Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, I have been having trouble getting thunderbolt working on my first ever build.

I have got the gigabyte z390 designate mono and was told thunderbolt is native on this.

The issue I've got is... I have a Focusrite Saffire 56 audio interface and that runs off firewire. I have always ran it on my MBP using a FW to TB converter thingy... So I bought the apple TB2 to TB3 adaptor and thought that might get it running on my hack... However it's not. Also in system report under thunderbolt its showing as no hardware found.

any help would be appreciated.

Here are my specs
gigabyte z390 designare
i9 9900k
sapphire rx580 pulse
hyper x 64gb 3200

That mobo may not support dongles. I read a comment on newegg about someone having a problem attaching their UAD Apollo 8 (Thunderbolt 2) to this board with a TB2 to TB3 dongle and it not being recognized as a device because it's "a legacy device" and Gigabyte was pointing the finger at Intel. YMMV...

having the same issue here. the tb3 to tb2 adapter dows not work, despite a lot of ppl saying it does in the whole wide interwebs...

Works on my Designare. Even hot plug. Startech TB3-TB2 into Apple TB2-FW into FW800 to 400 cable into old Lacie drive.

I can't acces the files, but that's probably because the disk is old and damaged.

Nothing will ever show up under Thunderbolt in System Info, but you will see stuff under PCI and/or Firewire.

Playing Steve Reich now via my older FW Metric Halo ULN-8 with the same adapter Xmas tree. No problems. Hot swapped, btw.

Still in Mojave, if that makes a difference. Maybe Startech works better than the Apple adapter? Can't find my Apple TB3-TB2 thingy, unfortunately.

Allright, let me elaborate:

It does work similar to your setup, with my Sapphire Pro40 Soundcard.

Works on my Designare. Even hot plug. Startech TB3-TB2 into Apple TB2-FW into FW800 to 400 cable into

However:

I cant get my "MyBook Thunderbolt Duo" to work via the tb2<->tb3 adapter at all. Its not recognized at all. Thats annoying because it was my main data drive on my old mac...

Any luck with Thunderbolt? Mine has stopped working since I upgraded to Mojave from Sierra a few months ago. I have a MOTU 828es Thunderbolt audio interface which worked fine on Sierra bit is not recognized on Mojave. The 828es also supports usb 2 but I’ve had issues with the usb not being recognized about 40% I turn it on.

Thunderbolt was never hot swappable but worked if I restarted my hack. Can’t figure out why it’s not seeing anything now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back