Intel i7-7700k 4.2gHZ Quad Core
Graphics
PNY GeForce GTX1050
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
This might be a question for Gigabyte.

Thunderbolt is not showing up in my BIOS settings, unless I hit Load Optimized Defaults. However, then when I save and reset, it disappears again, and I can only get it to show up if I Load Profile/Optimized Defaults (but regardless it won't save).

I can't seem to get Thunderbolt working on Windows or Mac. Formerly when I was testing with a friend's Apple adapter, and plugged in an external hard drive, I'd get a message saying Thunderbolt isn't supported on this Mac. I had to return the Apple adapter and got a Startech adapter, since I know I've seen people saying they work. Now I've installed the thunderbolt driver on Windows and I don't see anything on either OS, not even the message saying it isn't supported.

This is the last thing to get my rig fully up and running. I've been working on it all afternoon and am just going in circles at this point. Please help.

This might belong in post-install now that I think of it.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z170mx Gaming 5
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 1080
Mac
iMac, Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
This might be a question for Gigabyte.

Thunderbolt is not showing up in my BIOS settings, unless I hit Load Optimized Defaults. However, then when I save and reset, it disappears again, and I can only get it to show up if I Load Profile/Optimized Defaults (but regardless it won't save).

I can't seem to get Thunderbolt working on Windows or Mac. Formerly when I was testing with a friend's Apple adapter, and plugged in an external hard drive, I'd get a message saying Thunderbolt isn't supported on this Mac. I had to return the Apple adapter and got a Startech adapter, since I know I've seen people saying they work. Now I've installed the thunderbolt driver on Windows and I don't see anything on either OS, not even the message saying it isn't supported.

This is the last thing to get my rig fully up and running. I've been working on it all afternoon and am just going in circles at this point. Please help.

This might belong in post-install now that I think of it.
Did you ever reach any conclusions to this mystery? I am having the same problem with the same question. I didn't see your post until now, but also posted about this here: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/ga-z170mx-gaming-5-thunderbolt-tm-configuration-missing.252511/

Let me know if you figured anything out.

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac mini
Classic Mac
PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Experiencing the same issue on my Z170X UD5 TH board.

Have a support case open with Gigabyte atm.