Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
  4. Mac mini
  5. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello all! I am looking for any information from anyone who has thunderbolt networking working on either TH2 or TH3. After spending some time scouring the internet for ANYONE who has this working on a hackintosh, I have found ZERO reports of success. So please if your thunderbolt ports work with networking please let's start a discussion.

Just to be clear, I am not talking about network adaptors connected via thunderbolt, I am talking about the real-deal thunderbolt networking. On real Macs and Windows, you can connect at least 2 machines OR a server via thunderbolt and get 10gbe-40gbe speeds.

Next, I know someone is going to suggest 10gbe, yes that is an alternative, but in the spirit of hackintoshing I'm interested in discussing Thunderbolt networking, not 10gbe which already works fine.

Currently this product from QNAP CANNOT be used by a hackintosh over thunderbolt: https://qnapdirect.com/collections/...ance-thunderbolt-3-nas?variant=13284857577539

Please someone prove me wrong!!! We got hot-swapping, now lets get 100% and get TH Networking!!!

I would also really like to know if the situation has improved much for thunderbolt 3? I tried this using thunderbolt 2 between to retina 5Ks a few years ago and the results were really disappointing (fast at first then quickly dropping to sub-gigabit speeds). It's frustrating that the speed and the connection are there, but it seems like the implementation for thunderbolt networking wasn't done well by apple (at least a couple years ago). Has it improved, can someone try with thunderbolt 3 please!?

I tried recently between a thunderbolt 3 mac and a thunderbolt 3 mac, great speeds, seemed consistent. I also tested between to TB 2 macs, also consistent. All were on Mojave.

I tried recently between a thunderbolt 3 mac and a thunderbolt 3 mac, great speeds, seemed consistent. I also tested between to TB 2 macs, also consistent. All were on Mojave.
Hi, so you managed to make it work?
I have my Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge working with hard drives, but I can't make it work over network.
I don't have the option to add Thunderbolt bridge on network preferences, do you have it?

Thank you

Hi, so you managed to make it work?
I have my Gigabyte GC-Titan Ridge working with hard drives, but I can't make it work over network.
I don't have the option to add Thunderbolt bridge on network preferences, do you have it?

Thank you

Havent been able to get it to work. Something to do with Thunderbolt NHI. No one in this community seems interested in it. I fussed for a long time but don't have the skills or knowledge to pursue a hack on it. I ended up giving up and using 10gb ethernet for my needs.

Havent been able to get it to work. Something to do with Thunderbolt NHI. No one in this community seems interested in it. I fussed for a long time but don't have the skills or knowledge to pursue a hack on it. I ended up giving up and using 10gb ethernet for my needs.
Same situation as you, but I have seen miracles happening on this community, so let's not lose hope.

Reviving this thread, is this even possible? I wonder if the @kgp Asus X299 guide would yield any success- I’m buying hardware now and am deciding on an Asus Sage X299 MB with 10gbe on board or the version of the board without it (I have a titan ridge card on order)

We need someone who really know their stuff to look into this. The solution is to get thunderbolt Local node working on hacks, rather than thunderbolt only working as a PCI device. Look under system report -> thunderbolt and you see no drivers are loaded. Until this works, networking won't be possible but that,s all I can say, I have no idea how to make it work, I'm just a novice. And yes, very few in the Hackintosh community seem to want to work on this, they're content with the PCI TB working it seems...

I used an OWC Thunderbolt 10GBase-T adaptor without issues on my Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming. But I've since reverted back to my Z370 as my primary system due to other instability issues with my Z390 build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back