Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
How do folks!

I am gathering hardware for my mac pro build and I have a few questions about Thunderbolt.

As i'm going to be using my build for music production, my hardware will need to have thunderbolt compatibility, i.e. the Focusrite Clarett interface. I have seen Thunderbolt 3 motherboards, but are these compatible with 1 and 2?

Looking at the Mac Pro builds, there doesn't seem to be a motherboard suggested which would have Thunderbolt on it? Is there a workaround for this, or could anyone suggest a compatible motherboard with Thunderbolt that would be suitable for a mac pro build? I have seen older posts going back to around 2012 talking about this, but haven't seen anything more up to date.

If any one could help, that would be great.

How do folks!

I am gathering hardware for my mac pro build and I have a few questions about Thunderbolt.

As i'm going to be using my build for music production, my hardware will need to have thunderbolt compatibility, i.e. the Focusrite Clarett interface. I have seen Thunderbolt 3 motherboards, but are these compatible with 1 and 2?

Looking at the Mac Pro builds, there doesn't seem to be a motherboard suggested which would have Thunderbolt on it? Is there a workaround for this, or could anyone suggest a compatible motherboard with Thunderbolt that would be suitable for a mac pro build? I have seen older posts going back to around 2012 talking about this, but haven't seen anything more up to date.

If any one could help, that would be great.

Thunderbird 3 is supposed to be backward compatible with 2 and 1, so I don't think that's really a concern.

Here's the list of motherboards with Thunderbird from the current Buyer's Guide:
  • Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
Yep.

If you can go with Haswell instead of Skylake, there are more options (provided you can still source them). Gigabyte has a Z97 motherboard with Thunderbolt, the GA-Z97X-UD7 TH, which is compatible with OS X as it was listed in previous Buyer's Guides. Asus has a Thunderbolt 2 expansion card (the ThunderboltEX II/DUAL) that works with these motherboards:
  • Asus Z87-DELUXE
  • Asus Z97-DELUXE
  • Asus Z97-DELUXE/USB 3.1
  • Asus Z97-DELUXE (NFC&WLC)
Gigabyte has a similar product, the GC-Thunderbolt 2. It is only compatible with some of their X99 motherboards:
  • GA-X99-SOC Champion
  • GA-X99-Gaming 5P
  • GA-X99-UD4P
  • GA-X99-UD3P
  • GA-X99-Gaming G1 WIFI
  • GA-X99-Gaming 7 WIFI
  • GA-X99-Gaming 5
  • GA-X99-SOC Force
  • GA-X99-UD7 WIFI
  • GA-X99-UD5 WIFI
  • GA-X99-UD4
  • GA-X99-UD3
I have no idea which of these would be suitable for OS X.

I hope that gives you some options to work with.

I believe that Thunderbolt 3 is not currently supported by Apple and therefore will not work with hackintoshes. I suggest you visit the User Builds section of this forum and follow what hardware was used by others to get Thunderbolt working.

I believe that Thunderbolt 3 is not currently supported by Apple and therefore will not work with hackintoshes. I suggest you visit the User Builds section of this forum and follow what hardware was used by others to get Thunderbolt working.

Do you have any links for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back