Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt, GA-Z77X-UP5 TH and an Ultrastudio Express (maybe clover too)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77X-UP5 TH
CPU
Core i7
Graphics
GTX275
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
First topic with this account, long time hackintosher. Right now I'm working on getting my GA-Z77X-UP5 TH working with my Ultrastudio Express (a device used for video capture). I followed Stork's amazing guide to get the initial install, but in my install I had no thunderbolt functionality. Every time a thunderbolt device was connected, it would freeze the system.

Since then I've done some testing on the BIOS firmware.

F11 - Installed flawlessly, well almost. Multibeast did not FakeSMC automatically with DSDT Free option. System freezes every time a thunderbolt device is connected.
F08 - Furthest I could go back. System boots fine, no freeze on thunderbolt connection but no device is seen.
F09 - Same as F08.
F10 - Thunderbolt connection causes KP.
F12e - Beta bios, will not boot OSX

I just reflashed F08 after testing F12e I can no longer boot into my primary OSX install (I have two, stable and testing) and my USB drive with the install image is no longer being recognized at boot. So incrementing up to F09.

Once I have the bios back in a stable position I will be attempting to install Clover and get a pure UEFI boot. I don't know if this will necessarily fix all of my issues, but from what I've read there are a lot of advantages to it over Chameleon/Chimera. Unfortunately install (as of this reading) is not what I would call "simple" or "easy to read".

Remember that Thunderbolt is not yet hotswapeble! Therefore they have to be connected before boot! The reason to this is that they do not show up as thunderbolt connections! Osx think they are something else! Just connect before boot and you will be fine!

Remember that Thunderbolt is not yet hotswapeble! Therefore they have to be connected before boot! The reason to this is that they do not show up as thunderbolt connections! Osx think they are something else! Just connect before boot and you will be fine!
I knew that Thunderbolt was not hotswappable, but I didn't know the device did not appear under "thunderbolt connections". Where do they appear instead? I just checked using Blackmagic Media Express and I can see that it does correctly identify by Ultrastudio. It did not upon first install... No idea what I did to change that.

I got it!! What you have to do in the latest bios is to go to peripherels and then to thunderbolt devises and disable the wake from thunderbolt devises option!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back