Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
How do folks!

I am gathering hardware for my mac pro build and I have a few questions about Thunderbolt.

As i'm going to be using my build for music production, my hardware will need to have thunderbolt compatibility, i.e. the Focusrite Clarett interface.

Looking at the Mac Pro builds, there doesn't seem to be a motherboard suggested which would have Thunderbolt on it? Is there a workaround for this, or could anyone suggest a compatible motherboard with Thunderbolt that would be suitable for a mac pro build? I have seen older posts going back to around 2012 talking about this, but haven't seen anything more up to date.

If any one could help, that would be great!

How do folks!

I am gathering hardware for my mac pro build and I have a few questions about Thunderbolt.

As i'm going to be using my build for music production, my hardware will need to have thunderbolt compatibility, i.e. the Focusrite Clarett interface.

Looking at the Mac Pro builds, there doesn't seem to be a motherboard suggested which would have Thunderbolt on it? Is there a workaround for this, or could anyone suggest a compatible motherboard with Thunderbolt that would be suitable for a mac pro build? I have seen older posts going back to around 2012 talking about this, but haven't seen anything more up to date.

If any one could help, that would be great!
hi, my gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 TH seems solid with the OS, but i cant test TB until i purchase a TB device. I read that it works but the device drivers have to be initialized thru windows before OSX will acknowlege it??? weird. i guess OSX cant wake/power a device by its self yet. dont know how it works tho for devices that have their own power source.

Thunderbolt 3 isn't supported by Apple right now. It won't work. At all. An adapter should be available soon, but there's no proof it'll work either.

It looks like the forthcoming Macbook Pro (Late 2016) will have combination USB C/TB3 ports. It makes complete sense for Apple to do this as they always want thinner laptops with fewer ports and buttons on them. The Steve Jobs influence on Jony Ive which is still present in Apple design. Look at the latest 12" Macbook with a single USB C port. I would be completely surprised if Apple didn't go in this direction with all of their Skylake laptops yet to be released.

With a single active copper cable, Thunderbolt 3 will enable dual 4K monitor support simultaneously with 10-gigabit Ethernet networking. It will also charge the Macbook's battery.

So this all in one port will cause some confusion at first with new Macbook owners but eventually they'll figure it out.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15...b-c-connector-transfer-speeds-of-up-to-40gbps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back