Contribute
Register
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
CPU
Intel G4400
Graphics
Radeon RX 480
Hello, I'm just making this post with the steps I used to get my Thunderbolt display to work with my PC running Windows 10.

The motherboard I'm using is the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5. It has the Thunderbolt header so I can use an add-in card. Some motherboards come with USB 3 on them but they won't work with the Thunderbolt display. To make this work you need an AIC with display in (one like the ASUS ThunderboltEX 3) and USB 3 out. The plan is to run a DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort cable to the AIC and connect the Thunderbolt display to the AIC output.

Graphics card>>AIC (ASUS ThunderboltEX 3)>>Thunderbolt display

When you are installing drivers you need to turn off Thunderbolt in BIOS then install drivers. TURN OFF the PC and do a full power cycle. Then turn Thunderbolt back on during the next reboot. You may have to restart a few times but every time you do, do a complete power cycle. You will need to do that every time you make a peripheral change, but it has worked consistently for me.

Also in the BIOS make sure the Authentication is set to None and the PCIE is set to legacy. I linked a post below that has some more info.

Confirmed working:
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5
Intel Pentium G4400
Radeon RX 480
ASUS ThunderboltEX 3
Thunderbolt display

Another relevant post:
Success with Asus ThunderboltEX 3 and Z370 and UAD Apollo
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/success-with-asus-thunderboltex-3-and-z370-and-uad-apollo.258778/

Last edited by a moderator: