Contribute
Register

Thunderbolt Display - USB, Mic, Speaker and Webcam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the follow-up!

Unfortunately something is still not right.
- Needs to have something plugged in during boot for TB to work
- HP does not work
- Ejecting/removing USB-C devices causes a kernel panic.
- Panics during boot if there's an usb-c drive and a TB3 drive attached at the same time
- Does not boot with certain daisy-chained configurations (like a TB3 drive attached to a TB3 hub).
- Sleep doesn't work
- Networking over TB doesn't work

I double-checked my DSTD, and it's PC00. I don't know where that DSDT with PCI0 came from, but I'm attaching the proper DSDT below.

I'm also attaching a Kernel Panic report just in case.

I've double-checked that the patches (_E23 to XE23 and _INI of RP05 to XINI) are applied and reflected in the DSDT, as you instructed.
I didn't include the other patch that NorthAmTransAm told me to do (Null GPE.TINI). Should I add that one as well?
@gabevf
OK, there is something wrong. Could you post a screen shot of your IOREG with full tree of PC00.RP05 (or IOReg file if you can) and by selecting NHI0 to see all properties ?

GPE.TINI patch is used only with flashed firmware case (modified firmware). If not, you can disable this patch (thunderbolt device has to be initialized by ThunderboltINIt method with stock firmware).

On a first time, if SSDT is loaded, you should have UPSB, DSB0, NHI0... After that, you should have full thunderbolt tree under IOThunderboltPort@5.. last point to verify is device XHC3 and subtree.

For issue with thunderbolt appearing only with a TB3 device connected, on BIOS, GPIO force power 3 (or something like that) has to be enabled and something related to USB on Thunderbolt configuration section.

Can you confirm that you have an onboard Alpine-ridge with a non-modified firmware (stock) ?

Last edited:
@gabevf
OK, there is something wrong. Could you post a screen shot of your IOREG with full tree of PC00.RP05 (or IOReg file if you can) and by selecting NHI0 to see all properties ?

GPE.TINI patch is used only with flashed firmware case (modified firmware). If not, you can disable this patch (thunderbolt device has to be initialized by ThunderboltINIt method with stock firmware).

On a first time, if SSDT is loaded, you should have UPSB, DSB0, NHI0... After that, you should have full thunderbolt tree under IOThunderboltPort@5.. last point to verify is device XHC3 and subtree.

For issue with thunderbolt appearing only with a TB3 device connected, on BIOS, GPIO force power 3 (or something like that) has to be enabled and something related to USB on Thunderbolt configuration section.

Can you confirm that you have an onboard Alpine-ridge with a non-modified firmware (stock) ?

Hi @Elias64Fr

I can confirm that I have an onboard Alpine-ridge, non modified.

The TB tree show up partially. Only USB controllers are visible, but no drives are mounting. I haven't tried cold booting.

Unfortunately I don't have a GPIO Force Power 3 option in my BIOS – I know what you're talking about, but my BIOS just doesn't have that option. I've tried using the TbtForcePower.efi driver but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I also tried messing with Skip PCI OptionROM in the BIOS and the machine became unstable until I reduced the number of PCI lanes in use by the GPU (x8 each)

Attached are IOReg screenshots with and without the SSDT + patches. Ironically, things seem to work better without any SSDT's or patches, though the OS hangs for a long time while logging in without any of the patches, and USB-C speeds are abysmal (TB3 speeds are ok).

Attachments

• with SSDT + Patches.pdf
    7.5 MB · Views: 47
  • without any SSDT's or Patches.pdf
    22.6 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I have my TR card plugged into a new MSI Z690 Force motherboard. The monitor comes on part way through the boot cycle and works fine except the USB 2.0 bus w/ the camera, speakers, etc doesn't work until I do a reboot. Any idea whether this is fixable? I had this all working with the same TR card on my Z390 build.

What is highlighted in pink doesn't appear until I do a restart. Then it seems OK.

Screen Shot 2022-12-28 at 7.57.58 AM.png

I have my TR card plugged into a new MSI Z690 Force motherboard. The monitor comes on part way through the boot cycle and works fine except the USB 2.0 bus w/ the camera, speakers, etc doesn't work until I do a reboot. Any idea whether this is fixable? I had this all working with the same TR card on my Z390 build.

What is highlighted in pink doesn't appear until I do a restart. Then it seems OK.

View attachment 560778
Does your card have pins 3 and 5 jumpered? If not, I might have the answer.

@CaseySJ if memory serves, USB2.0 on these cards has always been a loose end right?
On GC-Titan Ridge we generally experience good USB behavior with both USB 2 and 3. We have to define both SS and HS ports in the SSDT.

On GC-Titan Ridge we generally experience good USB behavior with both USB 2 and 3. We have to define both SS and HS ports in the SSDT.

Interesting! Not sure why but I thought 2.0 was weird. Glad I pinged you.

What I see is the driver doesn't load on cold boot, but after the restart, the driver loads. I wonder if there is a way to get that driver to load on a cold boot.

Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 8.06.07 AM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-29 at 8.07.29 AM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back